US witholding tax

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jrkob, Sep 23, 2009.

  1. jrkob



    I am living in Singapore and am not a US citizen.
    I would like to buy US stocks but I understand that there is a 30% witholding tax on dividend.

    Is there an "easy" way to get around this ?

    For the US bonds I hold, a few years back my broker had asked me to fill a form (was it called W8B or something like this ?) so that I am exempted from US witholding tax on the coupons, so I thought may be there is a mechanism as well to exempt foreigners from witholding tax on stock dividends ?

    If it matters, I am buying this for myself, a private individual, not a company.