US Treasury Notes

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Neuroway, Nov 27, 2018.

1. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

You know there is a difference between the yield and the price of the 10 years ? Your chart is showing the yield over the years.
    It shows the yield rising steadily through the 60s and 70s, then peaking in the 80s during the crazy savings and loans crisis. Inflation rate and interest rates went through the roof during that period in the 80s, it was the time when interest rate products were the king, equities were just the underdog back then. Pit traders like Tom Baldwin and Charly di Francesca made a fortune trading in the CBOT bond pits.
    After that peak the yields have been going down for decades, the downtrend you mentioned. Leaving the financial crisis of 2008 behind us we are slowly seeing the yields to come back up, but more in the US, not in the EU so far.
    If you want to trade cycles like these, or even grab parts of these cycles, based on fundamental analysis, you will need the mother of patience and carloads of risk capital per contract.
    There is so much volatility and movement there every single day, in interest rate futures and even more in other contracts. If you are an institutional trader/ organization that needs to move big big size, I understand that one cannot scalp for short moves like that. But if you are an individual investor/ trader, then there is so much more than these big slow fundamental cycles, so much inefficiency to exploit every day, situations that are much easier to take advantage of as a small trader, with a limited contract size.
    You say you are an analytical numbers guy, so the opportunites that present themself everyday should feel like paradise to you. Limit your risk, limit your exposure to the market, but dont limit yourself in your trading.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    #11     Nov 28, 2018
    piezoe and gkishot like this.
  2. cvds16

cvds16

you are on a dangerous path Neuro. Have you heard about the vix blow up a few months ago ?

#12     Nov 28, 2018
  3. cvds16

cvds16

ha this is funny Neuro you clearly have no clue what you are doing

#13     Nov 28, 2018
  4. cvds16

cvds16

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing to go pro esp in trading .... but in fact in any business it is.

#14     Nov 28, 2018
  5. Sig

Sig

Why in the heck would one trade something that they admit (and clearly in fact do) know nothing about! I'm guessing you haven't seen my favorite cartoon on the subject of this type of outlook:
    [​IMG]
    https://xkcd.com/1570/

#15     Nov 28, 2018
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

I think they are making the cost of borrowing cheaper to support the level of demand in the economy. A lower rate of return usually means a lower cost of lending and encourages borrowing, this may have been made necessary by the high levels of tax requiring monetary policy to be eased to hit money circulation targets. A must in a highly geared economy.

#16     Nov 28, 2018
  7. ironchef

ironchef

I am no economist nor scientist just a retail trader not knowing much but reading your post and looking at your chart, I am puzzled.

The chart you posted here is the 10 yr treasury note yield curve? If you bought bond fund tied to this "worthless piece of junk" starting 1980 you should do well?

But today I take my money and run.

For your reference, here is another "worthless piece of junk" 10 year treasury note yield curve: upload_2018-11-28_14-27-5.png
    Canadian dollar.

#17     Nov 28, 2018
  8. maxinger

maxinger

Ha! Me too. I graduated in engineering.
    But I know nothing about those fundamentals.

One thing good about trading is Not to know too much.
    The more we know, the more money we lose.

The chart provides all the necessary information for us to pull the trigger.

#18     Nov 28, 2018
  9. Alexpung

Alexpung

lol "worthless piece of junk".
    If it is truly worthless piece of junk it would be trading at 10% or 20%, not 3%
    It is just the end of a long and huge bull run until recently.

#19     Nov 29, 2018
  10. maxinger

maxinger

[​IMG]

or should it be this ?

1. I am good at understanding simple numbers & plus and minus.
    I don't understand those complex Navier Stokes equations,
    Euler Product formula or Pythagorean theorem.

2. The stock market is made of simple numbers.
    3. WOW !! So much money falls from the sky.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    #20     Nov 29, 2018