US teenagers struggle to find summer jobs

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ASusilovic, Jul 23, 2009.

1. did you consider possibility that these jobs are not real ?

#11     Jul 24, 2009
  2. No these are real but my area is not one of the harder hit areas. That is not to say we have 100% employment either. Still jobs exist that need to be filled.

EDIT: I just pulled this list from monster.com. California lists 5000+ jobs. I realize there are more than 5000 out of work but shouldn't they be snapping up any job they can get?

* Alabama (2008)
    * Alaska (309)
    * Arizona (3335)
    * Arkansas (811)
    * California (5000+)

* Colorado (3723)
    * Connecticut (2822)
    * Delaware (667)
    * District of Colum... (2776)
    * Florida (5000+)

* Georgia (4810)
    * Hawaii (449)
    * Idaho (411)
    * Illinois (5000+)
    * Indiana (2866)

* Iowa (1264)
    * Kansas (1222)
    * Kentucky (1437)
    * Louisiana (1806)
    * Maine (658)

more...

#12     Jul 24, 2009
  3. Maverickz

Your list is great... but did you check the ads correctly ? If you do it you will see that they ask for Xp like 3+...

How can a young man have such Xp...

#13     Jul 24, 2009
  4. Can't get a summer job?

When I was a kid, we used to cut grass (older brother and I), hourly rate. After a big snow, we would clear our parents' place, then go up and down the street, knocking on doors. Contract prices for that :D We'd make some pretty good money in a foot of snow.

That was years ago. My house sits on 6 acres, owned it 20 years. I mow 4 acres of grass, front yard only. The local lawn services charge $40/hour to mow grass. Have never tried them. I'd put an ad in the paper to hire a teen. But if he got hurt, I assume his parents would sue my ass.

I have never heard of anybody around here hiring a kid to mow grass. And have never ever heard of kids going door-to-door to shovel snow.

Times must have changed. In what way??

#14     Jul 24, 2009
  5. Country Boy,

How right you are... be really carefull. Lawyer are the true plague of the Us...

#15     Jul 24, 2009
  6. MattF

MattF

kids can't think outside the box anymore

#16     Jul 24, 2009
  7. MattF

MattF

because many aren't. Tons of scam posts on monster.com now. Others may post to merely collect apps. *maybe* if someone exceptional came across, they'd look at it further, otherwise the company really isn't hiring at the moment; more for the future.

Some others may be hiring, but then the position gets cut in the budget...or they're not sure yet if it will officially exist.

It's almost of a perception issue at times...either way one has to wade through more crap then ever before to get through and find a worthwhile position...or fight with far more people.

Of course, still other people are stupid and don't know still how to properly apply for a job, or make themselves stand out from the ever growing crowd.

#17     Jul 24, 2009
  8. I understand that some of the posting may be scams or headhunters. But certainly not all of them. In fact here is a link to some jobs posted to Monster TODAY and NONE of these look like headhunters or scams:

http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search.aspx?brd=1&indid=75&cy=us&re=508&k=JobSearch;Browse

My point remains THERE ARE JOBS AVAILABLE. Many people may have to take a pay cut sure, and there are probably not enough jobs for everyone. Those without jobs just need to look deeper and be willing to at least temporarily take a lesser job than their old one. Either way with jobs available the unemployment rate should NOT be as high as it is.

#18     Jul 24, 2009
  9. I looked at a local "Employment Guide" pamphlet. You know, the kind that is next to the Cars For Sale booklets and Apartments for Rent papers that they give away for free. I looked through it carefully.

In the past, the Employment Guide pamphlet was as big as a newspaper section, easily 20 to 30 pages.

Currently, it's eight pages, cover to cover. And there was only ONE job in there - for a CNC operator. The rest of the ads were for
    * Colleges
    * Employment Guide (LOL)
    * Some job fair
    * Be your own boss!!!!!!
    * An exciting opportunity in SALES!

Pretty bad. The ratio of wheat to chaff has fallen off of the radar, and even the chaff is diminishing.

#19     Jul 27, 2009