US retail car sales continue to climb

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ricter, May 24, 2012.

1. Government motors was/is not the ONLY car company in the US.

#11     May 25, 2012
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Post the link, if you're going to use it as a source.

As for the source for the OP, I'm sure you don't have one (as I just spent the last 20 min trying to figure out where they got that data - to no avail). Interesting how data like that isn't accessible.

So unless you can show the data behind the OP claim, I'm going to have to disqualify it from discussion. ZH, as pessimistic as it tends be, at least backs up their data with sources.

So let's move on to the Autonation report. Please post a link, and I'll read it (I'm sure I can find it on my own, but if you post it, we can be sure we're talking to the same report). If it's indeed positive, I have no problems saying such.

#12     May 25, 2012
  3. Ricter

Ricter

But I'd have to use google...

#13     May 25, 2012
  4. had you been paying attention you would know that chrysler and gm would have gone away and even ford and the other carmakers were worried because if gm went down it would have taken the supply chain in the us down with them.
    black and white thinkers miss a lot of those little details in their alternate reality.

#14     May 25, 2012
  5. riight! the whole automotive industry in the US would have dried up and blown away.:D :D :D

gullible much?

#15     May 25, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

One thing YOU have missed, Free Thinker, is that if US carmakers had folded (say, reps had managed to stop the bailouts), then cars would be made overseas. Thus, they would be made by cheaper labor. Add in ocean freight, also not high, and we'd probably have a pre-import cost per car that's lower than domestically made cars. Finally, throw in the high tariffs some righties want, and the landed cost of cars would likely be no higher than car prices today. See, no downside!

#16     May 25, 2012
  7. how dumb are you? is it that difficult for you to grasp? i will try to explain it at a level where you, and fifth graders, can understand.

autos are made up of millions of components many of which come from the same supplier for all manufacturers. the loss of one component of one part can halt production for months. multiply that by thousands if the supply chain were allowed to go bankrupt.
    ford stated at the time that if gm were to shut down it would be a disaster for them too.

#17     May 25, 2012
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So use Google. Assuming you're referring to the direct reports coming from the AN site (since you either know what you'll find or are too lazy), I did a quick data analysis on the releases that they provide, and the archived releases. Some interesting points:

1. Auto Nation's increase over prior year claims are different than the data states. Not by much, but it's odd.

Auto nation claims: Domestic increase over Apr 2011 is 9%. Their raw data shows it at 8%. They claim imports went up 16%, but their raw data shows 12%. They understated Luxury by 3.5 points, so I thought this could simply be a reclassification, except that total increase (they claim) was 12% vs. the data saying it was only 11%. Not a huge difference, but you have to wonder about a company that cannot even reconcile it's own sales numbers.

2. A much bigger issue is that, with all the trumpeting about the sales increase and your post on how US Retail Car Sales Continuing to Climb, it's really just an exercise in statistics. Here is a graph of the sales month by month for the last year that I just threw together using Auto Nation's raw data:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the data doesn't really show an increase (especially in the last few months where it has been up, down, up, down. After 12 months, there was a slight increase over the prior April timeframe (already established) but it's staying right around the baseline of approx 20,000 units. If that's your "whoopdeedoo" then I guess you get excited easily.

The source of my data is the AN website investor releases: http://investors.autonation.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=85803&p=quarterlyearnings

You know, in case you want to verify my data. No need to get "hung up" on things like facts, right?

So your first source you cannot provide, your second doesn't really show what you're claiming in your original post. Maybe the third time is a charm?

#18     May 25, 2012
  9. ah, but thats not how the market works. had the us manufacturers gone out of business the overseas manufactures would have been unable to meet demand. lack of supply would have allowed them to raise prices to who knows where. auto prices would have skyrocketed.

#19     May 25, 2012
  10. That makes about as much sense as me getting all worried that my career is over because my favorite paperclip company went out of business.

#20     May 25, 2012