US - most f*cked up religiously extremist country this side of Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cutten, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Cutten

Cutten

I don't dislike the US, where did you get that idea? I dislike freakish religious brainwashing cults, and the milder form of religious loonies who think the world was created in 7 days or that intelligent design is a scientific theory.

Believe me, I have just as harsh a view of Islamic beliefs. But I wasn't discussing whether radical muslims were a threat or not - this subject has been done to death and everyone is aware of it. I was discussing whether the US has a problem with excessive tolerance of extreme religious cults and sects. IMO it does, and IMO 99.99% of Americans are dangerously complacent about this homegrown menace - maybe because the perpetrators are white middle class Americans, rather than dark-skinned people with foreign-sounding names and accents.

If the Uk had a similar problem with cults, sects, and excessive religious nonsense, I would criticise it just the same. But from what I can see, on that issue at least it is not facing the same problem. Yes there's a problem of radicalised immigrant minorities - so start another thread and chances are I'll agree with you.

What I would recommend is that you assess a claim on its merits - does the US have a problem in this area? I did not say "Britain is cool, America sucks". Criticising one country in no way implies lack of criticism of another, and I find it hilarious that people think I would hold up the Uk as some kind of ideal society. I have no loyalty to any nation or government, so we can scotch that idea right now. Let's debate the facts at hand, rather than trying to manufacture some national dick-swinging contest.

#31     Apr 18, 2008
  2. Gord

Gord

I see you are now backpedaling as fast as you can. Jim Jones was over thirty years ago and happened somewhere in the Caribbean. David Koresh happened over ten years ago and it was Bill Clinton's wrecklessness that led so many innocent deaths. Whether one agrees with Falwell and Robertson or not, no one other than extreme nutjobs (like you) would compare them to Jones and Koresh. And there are sects just like this one in Canada. Your three examples in thirty years doesn't exactly measure up to "where this lunacy goes on with such frequency".

I am afraid you already showed your hand in your previous posts. You are a bigot, plain and simple. An ignorant bigot.

#32     Apr 18, 2008
  3. Gord

Gord

OK you have got to the point where you can admit error. Now you just have to admit to the extent of your error.

Apolgize now for your "error" in dissing large groups of Americans and America as a whole, and you can walk away from this thread with your head held high and it will not be held against you.

But refuse and you will carry the label of "bigot".

Your choice...

#33     Apr 18, 2008
  4. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

perhaps, this is religion in the UK.

I'm inclined to side with the Texas crazies...

#34     Apr 18, 2008
  5. You must believe that Jet fuel did this!

No wonder so many people are on meds...

[​IMG]

#35     Apr 19, 2008
  6. We're being invaded by Catholics...not muslims.

Good luck.

#36     Apr 20, 2008
  7. Sam321

Sam321

But you do have an organized Islamist Muslim problem, combined with an extreme case of government-sponsored white anglo-saxon guilt, which enables this problem of institutional blindedness.

We don't have that much guilt here in the states. We do have thousands of fanatical cults, but none so persistant and patient with long term plans to out-populate everyone else, and then take over government when their numbers reach a major minority.

#37     Apr 22, 2008