US military must prep for unrest; IMF warns of economic riots

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MrDODGE, Dec 21, 2008.

1. http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2008/12/15/daily34.html

Don't know how I missed that article last week.

"U.S. Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., and U.S. Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., both said U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson brought up a worst-case scenario as he pushed for the Wall Street bailout in September. Paulson, former Goldman Sachs CEO, said that might even require a declaration of martial law, the two noted."

2. bizjournals, imo, is a respectable publication. To find an article warning of economic riots is troubling.

There seems to be a lot of resistance to cut services for the economically disadvantaged while at the same time city gov't are making cuts in fire and police protection, I suppose the military will have to supplement localities.

In the meantime, I really appreciate the reduction of transfats in my cheese cake and a smoke free bowling alley (sarcasm) while the USA is falling apart at the seams.

3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I've found it very interesting to watch the government at all levels get so involved in these types of things. One of the hallmark traits of an unsuccessful person is that they make the unimportant very important to themselves. It's sad to watch our country do the same thing.

4. When Paulson made his first statements when he just began asking congress for the TARP, I remember thinking: 'That guy looks frightened about something ... He looks like he's seen a poltergeist or something.' Truth was, he was looking into the abyss, and nothing was looking back except credit default swaps. He was scared sh*tless, it was obvious and that gave lots of people the willies.

5. talknet

talknet

USA senate has rejected the Bail-out twice. Once for Giant banks and Mortgage companies and the second time for car-makers. This means USA senate in not happy about giving $2.5 trillion to "sinking and worthless giant companies without any business brains"

But the Bush government, in fact any USA government in power (Obama has $1 trillion plan) use their "executive powers" for granting Bail-out money.

Ordinary USA citizens/Tax payers watch helplessly their money being given to "worthless giant companies"

USA has divided opinions and that's dangerous for USA.

6. Illum

Illum

7. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

the US is too reliant on the US military to create employment.

the US is not even in a real war but it's military budget is like the same as it was in Vietnam or World War 2

the militarization of the US economy or any economy is worrisom turn of events.

countries like that are call military states.

8. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

prior to world war Germany in 1936 spent lots money it's buildup of it's military to create jobs or stimulus plan to get out of the depression or collapse of it's economy from teh 1929 crash that was never seen before.

#10     Dec 22, 2008