US-Israeli Friendship

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Copernicus, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Politically, militarily, economically, socially, morally, and ethically we benefit.

If you don't think so, fine. Run for office and change American policy. It is clear you don't believe what I believe. It is also very likely my opinions are biased because I have immediate family involved in American/Israeli relations work, and also family living in Israel.

The State of Israel had to earn it's existence without any help at all. In 1948, the life expectancy of Israel was clearly only a matter of days (if not hours). Against all odds, they survived. Now we (the US) have pledged our allegiance to this strategically important (if the ethical and moral issue means nothing to you, which seems to be the case) ally.

Do you yourself have any relatives? A brother or sister? Parents? If so, do you stand by them and count on them to stand by you when it is necessary? As a nation, we are "relatives" with Israel. How much simpler can I make it? When you were a young child, you misbehaved. Yet your mother and father still stood by your side. Blood is thick. Right or wrong. When you were wrong, you were chided. But not disowned.

Israel has done more than it's fair share of "wrong". It is hard to be on constant "good behavior" when your back is always to the wall. When you are constantly being threatened with death (which IS official policy of the Arab world with the tenuous exception of Egypt).

There are hundreds of millions of words you can read explaining the finer points of our economic and other inter-dependencies with Israel. Read up.

Again in overly simple terms.....other than oil, what benefits do we get from the Arab nations that seek to destroy Israel? Measure the contributions of Arab society to our own. Then look at what Israel has contributed in purely practical terms to the US. In computer technology and bio-technology and pharmaceuticals alone we have "benefited" more each year (probably each day) from Israel than we have from all the Arab nations combined in all the years combined since the birth of our country. Is that a practical enough answer? (as simple and as incomplete as it is?).

Peace,
    RS

#41     Apr 18, 2004
  2. Are you suggesting all of those benefits would not have happened if those people you credit lived in America, and not in the state of Israel?

You seem to suggest that it was not their individual doing, but he state of Israel's doing.

#42     Apr 18, 2004
  3. excellent statement, I applaud it

#43     Apr 18, 2004
  4. I do not question Israel's right to exist. I am happy they finally have a "home" after centuries. I also have a lot of respect for the Jewish community, the one in America not Israel! Israel seems not to give a f... what everybody thinks, they do as they please.

I only wish American politics was more neutral. We dont gain anything by going against the world and blindly suppporting Israel.

#44     Apr 18, 2004
  5. What you call "doing as they please" is to simply try to exist. That is what they are fighting for, and they are one of, if not the most, vulnerable country to terrorism. They have been more restrained than any other country would have under their circumstances.

#45     Apr 18, 2004
  6. building new settlements, fences, and assasinating thats trying to exist? i don't think so, u might have a different opinion.

#46     Apr 18, 2004
  7. Yes, as a matter of fact. Building fences and assasinating terrorists IS trying to exist. As far as the settlements, they offered to give them up for peace, and still would do so. However, in the meantime the settlements do help create a better buffer zone.

#47     Apr 18, 2004
  8. ART, I don't understand what you are getting at. Do you mean to imply in your question that Israel is superfluous?

Going back to the suggestion of the "relocation" of the Israelis to lower Manhatten (I know it was not meant to be taken literally..but still)... Aside from the religious and historical ties of the people to the land, don't forget; Israelis are NOT Americans.

Some make it sound as if Israel is a "home away from home" for American Jews. This is far from the case. Very far.

As to your "state" vs. "individuals" statement, I thought a country WAS it's people. No?

The Sharon administration is not permanent. Less so than the Bush (or any American) administration. A vote of no confidence can change Israel's leadership virtually over night. (unlike our system). So it is senseless to seperate the people from the state.

When Sharon replaced Netanyahu, I really thought it would lead to the demise of Israel. But now, in hindsight, I understand that as an American I just did not have the sense of what was motivating the move. I could not empathise at all at the time with the Israeli people to see why they would want Sharon.

Still, from a perspective of an American, it seems that things have gotten worse, not better (standard of living in Israel) since Sharon took power. But the people have spoken. Maybe they have a more pragmatic view of what needs to be done and when. They certainly are not keeping the guy in power for the "now". Tourism, which was Israel's biggest industry ceases to exist presently.

We as Americans have been asked by our government to make sacrifices for the long term betterment of our nations security. (This is NOT without precedence). I can only believe that right now the Israeli people have decided to make sacrifices for the long term benefits as they believe them to be.

I do know that the Israeli people want peace. I strongly believe, (with some first hand exposure), that the majority of Arabs living in the West Bank and Gaza want peace with Israel. It is truly a situation in which the minority are fucking things up for the majority.

I have mentioned more than once before....Israel is the only place in the Middle East where female Muslims are permitted to vote. It is really NOT the "Palestinian" people that are keeping the conflict going. It is the governments of the surrounding Arab nations. Plus some radical fundamentalist Islamic clergy. (The backlash effect is that the Orthodox Jews have gotten to make too much policy in Israel. They are just as crazy as the Orthodox Musllms when it comes to denying the peace process).

Plus of course, the professional "freedom fighters"....it is their job on the line if peace were to come. Does anyone believe that Arafat & Co. would serve any function in a Palestinian nation at peace? A country that would try and progress in the world's economy? No, there is no interest in peace for those who would lose all they have. Those who derive their power and money from conflict.

All so sad. So wasteful and so bloody. So completely unnecessary.

Peace,
    RS

#48     Apr 18, 2004
  9. I agree on the first part, don't really like the Israelis on a personal level. In fact, most I have met I can't stomach. However, the political question is completely different and transcends my personal feelings.

The Palestinians must come to the peace table and be willing to cut a deal, and the Israelis must help bring tem there.

Israelis can't take world opinion into consideration, since most want them all dead anyway.

Arabs are enablers of the Palestinian distortion and self defeatism. It is the great distraction for the repressive Arab regimes. Blame the West, blame the vestiges of colonialism, blame the Jews. The Arabs feed the Palestinian-Israeli conflict ideologically, philosophically religious, and economically.

#49     Apr 18, 2004
  10. These settlements and expansion of them seem to be the biggest problem. perhaps it would be easier to negotiate without them. on the ohter hand its funny how israelis use new found russian jews as shields sending them over there.

#50     Apr 18, 2004