US infrastructure is at the verge of collapsing.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jueco2005, Oct 1, 2009.

1. If Obama is not stopped now, it will be disaster for all of us.

we HAVE to do something

#11     Oct 1, 2009
  2. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Shouldn't you be kneeling towards Mecca right now, rather than posting anonymously on internet chatboards? Allah will not like this.....

#12     Oct 1, 2009
  3. The best of the recent engineer grads are in finance, not as noble as you expose.

#13     Oct 1, 2009
  4. maxpi

maxpi

The infrastructure is a near disaster after 40+ years of the "Great Society" programs of the Democrats... that's all you need to know about the Great Society vision of Democrats..

#14     Oct 1, 2009
  5. I'm sorry, I have to laugh at this thread. There may be flaws and problems building in the US Infrastructure system that are serious for America. But in comparison to many, many other countries, the US is head and shoulders above most of the world.

Ever take a drive through rural Russia? Or how about in the mountains of Georgia (and I don't mean the US State). What about bridges in the countryside of China, or Vietnam? How about aging powerplants in half a dozen or more South American countries?

Please. Stop it.

#15     Oct 1, 2009
  6. New day, new crisis.

#16     Oct 1, 2009
  7. I read in another article posted some time ago a lot of the superior and more modern German and Japanese infrastructure could be attributed to the fact they got blown to pieces in WWII.

The US didnt have that advantage.

Funny way of looking at it but it does sound as if it has some merit.:)

#17     Oct 1, 2009
  8. jprad

jprad

Uh, who the fuck do you think helped them build it after they were blown to bits?

The problem in the U.S. was never quality, it was lack of funding for proper maintenance.

The Golden Gate and George Washington bridges are perfect, but by no means the only examples of how long things can last when they are properly maintained.

#18     Oct 1, 2009
  9. aegis

aegis

I agree.

So civil engineers give American infrastructure a grade of "D". A bit biased, aren't they? What do you expect them to say? They want work and they want to get paid.

It's true that engineers, especially civil engineers, are underpaid. However, most civil engineers work for the government and don't expect to make more than $70-80k. If they're willing to relocate to some other countries and move around a bit, they can easily make triple that amount.

I constantly see want-ads from KBR for civil engineers with little/no work experience ($100k+). I would have majored in civil engineering myself, but I could never get a grip on math past calculus 1, so I chose accounting instead.

#19     Oct 1, 2009
  10. zdreg

zdreg

where does noble come into the equation? if an engineer can make the transition into financial engineering more power to him or maybe he should try his hand at day trading.

#20     Oct 1, 2009