US Industry & sub-industry groups

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Synonym, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Synonym

Synonym

Hi
    does anyone know where i can find listing of the component stocks for all US indutry and sub-industry groups (ideally morningstar groups? I use IQfeed, which doesn't have sector listings. I know there are plenty of sites out there with sector component listings, but they you cannot easily copy the tickers.
    I want to easily set up the groupings in my trading software (multicharts) so that i can do whatever analysis i want and i don't want to type all the tickers and groupings in!

Anyone got any ideas where i can find the listings?
    Thanks in advance
    Synonym

2. Synonym

Synonym

http://biz.yahoo.com/p/sum_conameu.html

You can download an excel spreadsheet of the groupings and the component stocks in each group off yahoo, but it doesn't download the tickers - the bit i need!

3. Synonym

Synonym

Just bumping this for the new visitors today.

Does anyone know of any sites? Ideally i could get the info for free, but i'd be willing to pay a subscription.

4. The dow jones sponsored industry classification benchmark database has been adopted by all the major us exchanges and is gaining acceptance internationally. A subscription is eight thousand dollars per year.

You can find more information on it here:

http://www.icbenchmark.com/

Dow jones has developed tracking indexes for each of the industry groups, super sectors, sectors, and sub sectors within the benchmark. You can find more information on it here:

http://www.djindexes.com/

They have an excel file with all the index symbols here:

http://www.djindexes.com/symbolsandcalendars/

marketwatch.com uses this same break down, they have a categorized linked list here:

http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/industry/?bcind_ind=bc_all&bcind_period=3mo

The total number of symbols within each category exceeds the number used in the dow jones us tracking indexes for the category, but marketwatch.com has the complete list. I’ve written a program in visual basic that extracts the symbols according to sector and sub sector from marketwatch.com and gets them all.

I’ll run a session of my software and post a list sometime this week, I need to make some small modifications because they changed the format of their website. Consider yourself lucky I couldn’t pull any ass tonight or I wouldn’t be this drunk and generous sitting in front of my computer. It took me over three months to figure out and write the software.

Here is a break down of the indexes incase you don’t have excel, you will have to modify the symbols for the index format of your platform. I have to add a dollar sign to the beginning of the symbol, yours might be different.

there is no description because its too big to fit the max size of a post. the link to marketwatch has the best break down. dont be intimidated by the amount of symbols, they overlap as they get higher in the hierarchy. there is no symbol over lap in the subsectors though.

(Industries)
    DJUSBM
    DJUSNC
    DJUSCY
    DJUSFN
    DJUSHC
    DJUSIN
    DJUSEN
    DJUSTC
    DJUSTL
    DJUSUT

(Supersectors)
    DJUSAP
    DJUSBK
    DJUSBS
    DJUSCH
    DJUSCN
    DJUSFI
    DJUSFB
    DJUSHC
    DJUSIG
    DJUSIR
    DJUSME
    DJUSEN
    DJUSNG
    DJUSRE
    DJUSRT
    DJUSTC
    DJUSTL
    DJUSCG
    DJUSUT
    Sectors
    DJUSAE
    DJUSAP
    DJUSBK
    DJUSBV
    DJUSCH
    DJUSCN
    DJUSEU
    DJUSEE
    DJUSGF
    DJUSFC
    DJUSDR
    DJUSFO
    DJUSFR
    DJUSUO
    DJUSGI
    DJUSGT
    DJUSMC
    DJUSHG
    DJUSIQ
    DJUSIM
    DJUSIT
    DJUSLE
    DJUSIL
    DJUSME
    DJUSMG
    DJUSWC
    DJUSIX
    DJUSOG
    DJUSOQ
    DJUSPG
    DJUSPN
    DJUSRH
    DJUSRI
    DJUSSV
    DJUSIS
    DJUSTQ
    DJUSTB
    DJUSCG

(Sectors)
    DJUSAE
    DJUSAP
    DJUSBK
    DJUSBV
    DJUSCH
    DJUSCN
    DJUSEU
    DJUSEE
    DJUSGF
    DJUSFC
    DJUSDR
    DJUSFO
    DJUSFR
    DJUSUO
    DJUSGI
    DJUSGT
    DJUSMC
    DJUSHG
    DJUSIQ
    DJUSIM
    DJUSIT
    DJUSLE
    DJUSIL
    DJUSME
    DJUSMG
    DJUSWC
    DJUSIX
    DJUSOG
    DJUSOQ
    DJUSPG
    DJUSPN
    DJUSRH
    DJUSRI
    DJUSSV
    DJUSIS
    DJUSTQ
    DJUSTB
    DJUSCG

(Subsectors)
    DJUSAS
    DJUSAR
    DJUSAL
    DJUSRA
    DJUSAG
    DJUSAT
    DJUSAU
    DJUSBK
    DJUSBT
    DJUSDB
    DJUSBC
    DJUSRB
    DJUSBD
    DJUSIV
    DJUSBE
    DJUSCF
    DJUSCL
    DJUSHR
    DJUSCC
    DJUSCR
    DJUSDV
    DJUSCE
    DJUSSF
    DJUSCP
    DJUSVE
    DJUSDN
    DJUSAF
    DJUSVN
    DJUSID
    DJUSDT
    DJUSRD
    DJUSHD
    DJUSEC
    DJUSEU
    DJUSAI
    DJUSOE
    DJUSOS
    DJUSFA
    DJUSFC
    DJUSFP
    DJUSFD
    DJUSFT
    DJUSFS
    DJUSIF
    DJUSFH
    DJUSCA
    DJUSGU
    DJUSMD
    DJUSPM
    DJUSHP
    DJUSHV
    DJUSHB
    DJUSHI
    DJUSLG
    DJUSHL
    DJUSFE
    DJUSIO
    DJUSDS
    DJUSIB
    DJUSOL
    DJUSNS
    DJUSSB
    DJUSST
    DJUSIL
    DJUSMT
    DJUSAV
    DJUSAM
    DJUSMS
    DJUSWC
    DJUSMF
    DJUSMR
    DJUSMU
    DJUSHN
    DJUSNF
    DJUSOI
    DJUSPP
    DJUSCM
    DJUSPR
    DJUSPRT
    DJUSPL
    DJUSPT
    DJUSIP
    DJUSPB
    DJUSRR
    DJUSEH
    DJUSES
    DJUSRP
    DJUSRQ
    DJUSIU
    DJUSRN
    DJUSRU
    DJUSRL
    DJUSSC
    DJUSSD
    DJUSSW
    DJUSCS
    DJUSCX
    DJUSSP
    DJUSSR
    DJUSRS
    DJUSCT
    DJUSTR
    DJUSTB
    DJUSTY
    DJUSTS
    DJUSTT
    DJUSTK
    DJUSPC
    DJUSWU

stay tuned for the symbols in each.

5. Synonym

Synonym

Wow thanks for your help! The links and symbols you've posted are really useful! I'll get to work with them now.
    Cheers Almost.

6. Synonym

Synonym

I forgot to say, I do have excel. So you can attached a file to the post rather than having to copy and paste into the message.
    Thanks again, it really is appreciated.

7. here is the break down

It gets the symbols for whole sectors, which include all the symbols for that sector’s subsectors.

It also gets the individual subsectors in their own list, so there is repeat.

Its like…

Sector
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    Subsector 1
    A
    B
    Subsector 2
    C
    D
    E
    F

It does this for everything but the main industry groups because that would get ridiculous.

There was an error on the pages for the Real Estate Index, Real Estate Investment & Services Index,
    Real Estate Investment Trusts Index. There was also an error on the General Retailers index page…but I think it got all the sub sectors for those sectors, so if you take out the headings for the subsectors the list would be the same for the big sector.

I think it might have also missed the last half of the symbols in Telecommunications Equipment because it ran out of room, but thats but that’s the last subsector in the whole hierarchy.

lots of the symbols are crap stocks with low volume and low market cap, I hope you have a good quote storage window in your platform with sorting. Good luck.

8. make sure you right click the link and "save target as" because the line breaks dont show up in browser view.

9. Synonym

Synonym

That's brilliant Almost. Yes my platform will handle these fine.
    Thanks for the work you've done. It's really helped me out.
    Best wishes
    S