US Health Insurnace Costs

Discussion in 'Economics' started by toc, Jan 6, 2008.

1. toc

toc

'The Canadian model is to go to the US when you need something done right and right now'

Do you know what is the biggest reason of Bankruptcy of any US household................unexpected medical costs! US folks have worked hard for long and now they atleast deserve free health care.

#21     Jan 6, 2008
  2. How much do you pay for US health insurance?

#22     Jan 6, 2008
  3. MKTrader

MKTrader

Much of the R&D, new technologies and new pharmaceuticals are from the good ol' USA...and other countries (especially ones with "good" socialized medicine) benefit greatly from this. That's something the Michael Moores don't talk about.

Take away the profit motive for U.S. health-related companies (or most of it, anyway) and we'll see a loss of quality and innovation in other countries. And thank Hillabama in advance....

#23     Jan 6, 2008
  4. Yeah, I believe that you are going to pay $50-100,000 out of pocket for some surgery that you could get for free in Canada.

#24     Jan 6, 2008
  5. Okay lets see . insurance for a 25 year old $100 no medical examption. Great , cant go wrong

Insurance for a 45 year old person $500 per month and will exempt coverong from ant problem you had wrong with you since you were 12 . Oh you had border line high collesteral you arent covered for any sickness that is related to high collestoral. OH you lied on your application you said you weighed 205 we ahave proof you weighed 230 so we wont cover the sickness you had last month related to excess weight, We have cancelled our policy for false information on your application .

buddy the health system is screwed up . When it starts affecting white america it will be a problem . Companies cant continue to offer health insurance to employees at a 25% increase annually . [/B][/QUOTE]

Good points.

If you have a pre-existing condition, the insurance company in the U.S. can deny you coverage. They can deny you treatment for certain procedures if you have coverage. They can cancel your coverage. They are in it for a profit. Medical coverage should not depend on pre-existing conditions. Health insurance companies should not exist so that they can reap a profit from people's health. I wish the U.S. had socialized medicine for everyone, all ages, paid for by the government. It would then be a non-profit business, which would cost alot less.

A few years ago, when my wife and I were temporarily without health insurance, we called an insurance company to ask a question. The question was "If we buy insurance today, would we be covered for a baby delivery." Their response was that we have to pay for insurance for 1 year before they would cover the cost of the delivery. So basically we have to make them some money before they pay out for that procedure, and we would have to make sure that we timed the pregnancy right, so that it would be covered. I bet no Canadian or any other married couple from a Western country, or most likely any country in the world, had to skip sex for awhile to make sure they are covered for a delivery.

#25     Jan 6, 2008
  6. RAY

RAY

Who is going to pay my doctor(s) if it is free?

You should see my Doc.; he likes nice clothes and nicer cars.

No foot in this debate: I think the system is broken, but I also don't claim to know how to fix it. One thing I do know is: TANSTAAFL

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

It is kinda hard to take anyone seriously when they keep throwing around the word "FREE."

#26     Jan 6, 2008
  7. MKTrader

MKTrader

In the new altruistic system, your same doctors will happily become civil servants, start out at $40,000 per year and work for an even more Byzantine bureaucracy.

Sure.

The current (very high) bar for becoming doctors, dentists, physical therapists, etc., will have to be lowered dramatically if it's all "free." And what about malpractice.? Doc gets a slap on the wrist and you get to try to sue the gov'ment.

#27     Jan 6, 2008
  8. What does research have to do with insurance companies?

Research can still be done. I just want free healthcare and dental coverage paid for by the government for all ages through income taxes collected.

#28     Jan 6, 2008
  9. Go see the movie Sicko.

There was a U.K. Family Practice doctor in the movie earning about $200,000/year, which is similar to what they earn here. And they have socialized medicine in the U.K. If they can do it, so can we.

#29     Jan 6, 2008
  10. Actually I think that hospitals should serve illegals on the spot when they come in. It's the humane thing to do, and a human responsibility. The first thing they should do though is to inoculate them against diseases, using drugs like pancuronium bromide. That will be a major help to us all.

#30     Jan 7, 2008