US Health Insurnace Costs

Discussion in 'Economics' started by toc, Jan 6, 2008.

1. toc

toc

With US population around 300M when multiplied by $300/month per person cost of health insurance gives a figure of $90B per month i.e. $1.1 Trillion per year.

However going the route of free healthcare for everyone and then calculating the costs of contingency basis......meaning everyone is not going to fall sick and require average costs of $300 per month..............does anyone have any figures on the annual costs of US Health Insurance for all.

Does anyone know what does it cost Canada to offer free healthcare for its 30M people.

2. Your post makes me wonder about the definition of health insurance.

Free wheel chairs, organ transplants for everyone, feeding tubes from birth till years after your brain is dead. Who defines health insurance benefits.

3. toc

toc

Canadian model dude!

free doc visits, surgeries and hospital stay if needed but does not include medication except for over 65, cosmetic dental or cosmetic plastic surgery and other out of the main line treatments.

You sound like you are happy with spending $200 on a US Army hammer than giving some safety net to the most in need.

4. Do you know why we pay $200 for an Army hammer?

Number one, competitive bidding. Secondly, to prevent fraud.

5. Canadian model dude!

THE CANADIAN MODEL IS BROKEN

free doc visits,

BEST DOCTORS FULLY BOOKED, LONG WAITS FOR CRITICAL TESTS AND SURGERY, AVERAGE AGE OF CDN DOCTORS HAS INCREASED TO OVER 50 YEARS OLD, OLD TECHNIQUES. YOUNG DOCS CONTINUE MOVING TO USA.

surgeries and hospital stay if needed

LONG WAITS FOR CRITICAL SURGERY, HOSPITAL BEDS IN CORRIDORS DUE TO OVERLOADED SYSTEM

You sound like you are happy with spending $200 on a US Army hammer than giving some safety net to the most in need.

CANADA BUYS $200 HAMMERS TOO.

SUMMARY:

If working Americans would just realize how much less income tax they pay vs Canada, they could easily purchase good health insurance with the difference. Having lived in both countries I can assure you that US Health care is far more advanced, sophisticated and efficient compared to Canada's.

6. newbunch

newbunch

Here in Arizona, I pay about $100/month. I checked how much similar coverage would cost me in NY and it was $300 month.

7. toc

toc

'I pay about $100/month'

That's excellent, what does it cover, does it have any deductibles upfront.

8. Doctors pay about 1/2 of their income for liability insurance. Liability costs for hospitals are similar. In addition, doctors have to do additional "defensive" procedures and tests they wouldn't otherwise do just to make it so that can't be sued easily. The end result is that the actual cost of healthcare is about double what it would be if we didn't have the liability Lotto going.

I'd agree we need to do something to see to it that everyone gets at least some minimum level of healthcare, but I think it should be paid for by eliminating the Lotto game that is causing the prices to skyrocket.

9. I currently pay close to $700 per month for my wife and I, with a $2500 deductible. And frankly, I will take it any day over the Canadian health care system. You might want to check into the quality of Canadian health care....just so that you're fully informed instead of spouting complete bullshit.

OldTrader

10. I take it you've lived in Canada your entire life? Try asking a Canadian if they agree with what you say, and i'm sure you would be surprised.

I think i'll go with the free healthcare, all I can say is thank god I live in Canada.

I saw the movie Sicko last night - is it really that bad in the US? Where the poorest people are left in the street? It really is a sad country you live in, and I hope there are better times ahead for you. I truly am hopeful.

#10     Jan 6, 2008