US Economy is moderating, but Dow has new record high everyday, why?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Happy Hopping, Jan 4, 2007.

1. asap

asap

at the expense of the next generations of americans, those would be the ones that have to pay the costs of the actual imbalances.

but the dow couldnt care less as well. in economy as in life, most of crowd is left behind. this is one of the laws of the nature as we know it.

#21     Jan 7, 2007
  2. bgp

bgp

yes asap i take it you are living in the now ? am i right ?

peace be with you young man and i pray you find true meaning in life,

BGP

SIGNING OUT

#22     Jan 7, 2007
  3. Yes they do, there were measures passed that allows them to do so.

The reason Dow keeps going up is asset inflation.

#23     Jan 7, 2007
  4. Cathy Minehan (Fed president of Boston) on Fri. just issued her speech on 2007 andd 2008 forecast on US econ. She said 2007 is slightly below potential, i.e., like the current GDP around 2.x%, but in 2008, she forecast a at potential GDP, meaning a better yr. than 2007

So now we have more than 1 fed official debunk you people's "Slow down" theory.

#24     Jan 8, 2007
  5. S2007S

S2007S

1 year slowdown and than continued growth, seems to easy.

#25     Jan 8, 2007
  6. asap

asap

Cathy is betting Emerging, Europe and Japan will continue to grow by then which gives the necessary boost to US exports and ultimately assure the US can keep the economic engine rolling. It is very easy to turn around your economy around when everybody out there is buying your stuff like crazy. I like to see how she pull that off if China and Europe goes to sleep.

#26     Jan 9, 2007
  7. Alright, what about donald Kohn comment today? did you guys read it?

In a nutshell, he is saying similar things like what Bernanke is saying, that we are at the season of one of the highes profit ever from businesses, and eventhough consumer spending will be slow due to housing sector slowdown, business spending offset that shortcoming.

#27     Jan 9, 2007
  8. Yeah, just like after bouncing back in 2002-2003, the businesses took all that cash made from relentless cost cutting & Fed infused liquidity and.....?

Businesses don't throw money back into the US economy anymore. The cash goes to the higher execs and to buy back stock. Good for the companies & their stock, bad for the rest. Hence another reason why the Dow keeps trucking higher while 90% of the people experience a dwindling economy.

#28     Jan 9, 2007
  9. the economy.......how important is the economy in the eyes of company execs and ceos.......this is the real question........this leads to......insider selling........

paraphrased:

http://www.businessweek.com/investing/insights/blog/archives/2006/12/insider_selling.html

........the immediacy of price trend is most immediately affected by immediate people trends........what kind of trend are we seeing here.......?

Maybe the point here is not to figure how well the execs and ceos know the economy.....how well they know their own business and the likelyhood that they have seen a top in their own business models and cycles......

MM1

#29     Jan 9, 2007
  10. Earlier on, when you said "watch the transport", are you referring to

^DJT?

The Dow Jones Trans Average? Because it is been going up since Aug.

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#chart1:symbol=^djt;range=1y;indicator=ema(200);charttype=ohlc;crosshair=cross;logscale=on;source=undefined

Now, as to that article if insiders are selling that much, wouldn't it be fair to say mutual fund are buying much more so to offset the sell, and thus, push these 3 indices (Nas, Dow, S&P) up even higher?

I mean, if your article is true, and there is that much selling, then these 3 indices should go down in Nov. & Dec. rather than hitting high and record high (Dow) in those 2 mth.?

You can see the results of the indices is the OPPOSITE of what you guys are saying.

#30     Jan 10, 2007