US Economic Paradigm Shift with Catastrophic Consequences.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Jan 28, 2008.

1. .
    January 28, 2008

SouthAmerica: I find interesting that many talking heads in various business and political shows on television finally started getting the point. I have been trying to bring this point across for at least the last 4 to 5 years.

Suddenly many people started seeing the light as if it was a major discovery.

In a Nutshell: As the United States have been blowing a ton of money in defense spending and with wasteful wars, its major competitors have been investing in the future by building all kinds of infrastructure, an economy of the future and so on….

What is a better US Gov. investment for Future - Military Spending or Infrastructure?
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54027

Today some analysts’ even claim that the economy it is becoming the most important issue that will have an impact in the presidential election of November 2008.

In May 2005, one of my first postings on this Forum it was removed from this forum because of the subject that I was trying to bring to the attention of the members of this forum.

You can read it at:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50115

May 2005

SouthAmerica: The thread that I started “US Economy Paradigm Shift” became a very popular thread with over 36 postings and 1,200 views in less than 24 hours.

Why that thread has been removed from this message board?

There are some guidelines that I am not aware of or there is “Censorship” that applies to certain subjects such as questioning US defense spending?

May 2005

SouthAmerica: The US wasted over $ 2.1 trillion dollars in defense spending during the 5-year period 2001 – 2005 when most of the other major economies around the world were investing their scarce resources wisely and they were building their economies. Here is were the US government should be investing the US taxpayers money instead:

The latest ASCE report published in March 2005 estimates that the US government will need to invest at least $ 1.6 trillion dollars in the next five years in order to bring the current US infrastructure to an “acceptable” level. Here are their findings and recommendations:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50115&perpage=6&pagenumber=2

Here is part of my original posting that was removed from this forum in May 2005:

May 2005

SouthAmerica: I don’t believe that the economic situation in the United States would have deteriorated so much and so fast if Mr. Clinton had the opportunity to be re-elected in 2000 or even if Al Gore had been president. The one thing I never read about anywhere is the economic “Paradigm Shift” that has occurred from Mr. Clinton’s administration to the Bush administration. Here is where lies some of the real problems of the fast American economic decline.

I am not surprised of the outcome of how bad things are turning out since January 2001. But the American economy under Mr. Clinton stewardship was moving to the future, the internet, the information superhighway, and the American economy’s resources were being applied to that end – in building the infrastructure of the future.

The Bush administration shifted completely the American economy to the past, to the economy of the cold war, to excessive defense spending, to the boogieman is going to get you. They turned the American economy in the direction of a world long gone.

Remember corporations make long-term plans and they adjust to current conditions. And corporations and the financial markets in Wall Street don’t like these major shifts in government policies.

For example: if you were part of the management of some major corporation and you had hired people to do research and work based on the Clinton administration goals for the American economy, then came along the Bush administration and all the rules of the game had been changed—the Bush administration created a major Paradigm Shift in the American economy—they moved the American economy from focusing into the future, to focusing into the past, the cold war days.

SouthAmerica: quoting from various sources:

“A Paradigm Shift is an often radical change of paradigm. It is the successful new theory which explains a phenomenon or phenomena that the previous theory fails to.

Think of a Paradigm Shift as a change from one way of thinking to another. It’s a revolution, a transformation, a sort of metamorphosis. It just doesn’t happen, but rather it is driven by agents of change.

Agents of change are driving a new paradigm shift today. The signs are all around us. For example, the introduction of the personal computer and the internet have impacted both personal and business environments, and is a catalyst for a Paradigm Shift. We are shifting from a mechanistic, manufacturing, industrial society to an organic, service based, information centered society, and increases in technology will continue to impact globally. Change is inevitable. It's the only true constant.”

In August 2005 I started a new thread “What is a better US Gov investment for Future - Military Spending or Infrastructure?” - which was moved from the economics forum to politics and religion. You can read it at:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54027

2. America has every right, similar to the Roman Empire and the British Empire, to self destruct as fast and as deeply as possible...

The present administration is doing a very efficient and fast job of accomplishing this and there are many others campaigning for future political positions that will hasten our decline even further...

please stand by... :eek:

3. .
    You forgot to list the Soviet Empire.

The Soviet meltdown happened at the speed of light....1,2,3, gone......

And that is the speed that any superpower can meltdown today, including the United States.

4. toc

toc

'And that is the speed that any superpower can meltdown today, including the United States.'

Comparing US with Commies is not fair game. Commies were phantom and fake in many ways and anything fake falls down fast and hard.

US is slipping but not sliding. But I would agree some folks just are bent on hurting their own country by electing and reelecting wrong leaders and those who think on same self destructive ways.

5. Quite right.
    In any "free" society you get the leaders that you deserve.

regards
    f9

6. toc

toc

'In any "free" society you get the leaders that you deserve'

Like Boris Yeltsin in Russia I suppose! :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. gnome

gnome

Bush has been a terrible president. He has promoted his own personal ideology over the good of the people and the country.... and used the tax payer's credit card* to do it.

That doesn't mean that Clinton was any better... just a different a-hole.

*current cost of the Iraq campaign has been approximately $46,000 for each family of 4 in the US. Too bad we didn't get to vote on whether to spend it in Iraq, US infrastructure, or perhaps not at all.

And Bush wants to "make tax cuts permanent"... his legacy, I suppose. As the US Gummint obviously cannot resist profligate deficit spending, permanent tax cuts would mean greater inflation and currency destruction. The man is an arrogant, irresponsible menace.

8. Excellent Commentary All
    ........................................................................................

The real question here is how does a country change ?

How can people stop work when they have to have income to live
    and try to form what is necessary for change ?

What is the process?
    .........................................................................................

In every country that I have lived in, there is extreme corruption...and in fact, in some countries the taxes that are collected are the only source of significant funds...and what happens is that people collude to game the contracts that are given out which are paid by these funds in ways that are so inefficient that if the details were laid out, people would be aghast at the lack of efficiency and stupidity.
    ...........................................................................................

Thus the question remains, just how does any country effect change ?.....
    .................................................................................................

It is quite obvious already that the only thing changing in the US is the name of the President...and nothing else...

9. There's a reason why, this is the first election in 80 years that doesn't have a president or vicepresident running...

10. Joab

Joab

Think of all the money you missed making during that time because you wanted to be right !!!

#10     Jan 29, 2008