US easily manipulated - Netanyahu

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hermit, Jul 19, 2010.

1. A recently-revealed tape has shown Binyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, discussing ways to undermine the Oslo Accords and calling the United States "easy" to manipulate.

The video was filmed in 2001, apparently without Netanyahu's knowledge, during a meeting with Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank. It aired on Friday night on Israel's Channel 10, and several translations have been posted online.

At one point on the tape, Netanyahu threatens a "broad attack" against the Palestinian Authority.

"The main thing, first of all, is to hit them. Not just one blow, but blows that are so painful that the price will be too heavy to be borne," Netanyahu said. "A broad attack on the Palestinian Authority."

The tape was shot during the early stages of the second intifada, when violence between Israelis and Palestinians was escalating. Netanyahu was speaking with settlers who lost family members to Palestinian attacks.

Ariel Sharon, the Israeli prime minister at the time, had recently deployed additional Israeli troops in the West Bank.

Undermining the Oslo Accords

Netanyahu - who did not hold political office when the recording was made - was dismissive of the United States, calling it easily manipulated.

"I know what America is," Netanyahu said. "America is a thing you can move very easily, move it in the right direction. They won't get in the way."

Netanyahu also spoke extensively about undermining the Oslo Accords, the agreement signed in 1993 which set a framework for future Israeli-Palestinian negotiations.

The Oslo Accords specified that Israel would be allowed to keep "military zones" in the West Bank in any future agreement with the Palestinian Authority. Netanyahu told the settlers he would use that loophole to retain large portions of Palestinian territory.

"I'm going to interpret the accords in such a way that would allow me to put an end to this galloping forward to the '67 borders," he said.

"How do we do it? Nobody said what defined military zones were. Defined military zones are security zones; as far as I'm concerned, the entire Jordan Valley is a defined military zone."

In the recording, Netanyahu described Bill Clinton - the former US president who helped to negotiate the accords - as "radically pro-Palestinian".

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2010/07/201071834019513292.html

2. History Shows that Netanyahu was right to oppose the Oslo accords.

But nice try from our resident al jazeera member.

3. But you're okay with this part?
    Just curious.

4. Of course this is not what Netanyahu said, the word "manipulate" was used by the al-jazeera author of the article and blindly repeated by brain-dead anti-Israel cretins like you and the initial poster. Moreover this "recently revealed tape" was taped in 2001 when Netanyahu was a private citizen. But hey, lies and distortions is the best weapons of the anti-Israel fringe.

5. Eat my shorts. I'm not an "anti." I asked a question. Since Index Piker didn't contest the veracity of the piece when he commented on its content, I assume he accepted it at face. Thus my question, which, incidentally, didn't deal with a whole nation but was limited to a single individual.

Now what was that about brain-dead?

6. Fine, my apologies if you are not an "anti" and not "brain-dead" :) . I presumed that before commenting you read the al-jazeera article posted by the OP. The article completely distorts what Netanyahu actually said. There is a number of individuals here who deliberately and maliciously lie, distort and twist everything Israel related (the title of this thread is a great example of these lies). If you are not one of them please accept my apologies.

7. "I know what America is," Netanyahu said. "America is a thing you can move very easily, move it in the right direction. They won't get in the way."

What does this mean :confused:

8. How about America can be convinced, persuaded, you can explain things to America, you can make America see and understand your point of view...

"Manipulated" is the worst and most inaccurate interpretation of what Netanyahu said. Let alone that he most likely said it in Hebrew not English so Al-Jazeera quite possibly came up with the worst possible translation of his words. But hey, if it's on al-jazeera it must be true! :)

9. Why am I reminded of Fox and Obama?

#10     Jul 19, 2010