US Broker who will open an account for an Australian citizen.

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Apollo13, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Is the speed capped by tws? Which often experiences data loss

#21     Sep 15, 2018
  2. Apollo13

Apollo13

Isn't there a problem with this approach ?
    ie: you have to have your computer on all the time.
    No connectivity problems etc.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    #22     Sep 15, 2018
  3. The problem is, no retail broker integrated platforms match the capability of third party solutions, and if they come close, monthly costs are associated.

#23     Sep 15, 2018
  4. Apollo13

Apollo13

The real problem is finding a LARGE broker here in Oz.
    IB are about the only one.
    CS is not even processing my application even though they say that they do us Aussies.

#24     Sep 15, 2018
  5. themickey

themickey

Yep, the broker community in Oz is pathetic on choice, the big 4 banks know how to corral the market, and we know how the big 4 have come through with their reputation in tatters via the Royal commission into Banking here.
    Were the Royal commission ever to turn the spotlight into the Australian brokerages, that would be a revelation, but have heard no murmur about it.
    The gummint here is complicit into the way the banks have fleeced everyone by allowing them to gobble up everything financial, but gummint will never admit that.

#25     Sep 15, 2018
  6. Apollo13

Apollo13

Yup... all agreed there.
    Hence why I don't trade Aussie stocks.
    Trades too expensive and market liquidity is too thin except for the largest stocks.
    Comsec, ANZ and all the rest want gold per trade, for what ? Jebuz.
    Stuff that.
    Gummint ? which gummint ? I lose track.

#26     Sep 15, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  7. traderjo

traderjo

Broker in AUz for AUz market or for US market? if for US market apart from IB have you tried Charles Swab! One idea with client money protection in US is purchase treasury bonds and keep them with IB and then use that as collateral!

#27     Sep 16, 2018
  8. Apollo13

Apollo13

Yar.. Only interested in US equities.
    That broker is the one that takes the paperwork then does nothing with it.
    They are not really interested I am guessing.
    ASX trading is too expensive compared to IB. I am spoilt.

#28     Sep 16, 2018
  9. traderjo

traderjo

you mean https://www.schwab.com.au ( Options express previously) !
    not sure what exactly your gripe is? have you called them?
    what is your main requirement
    Comms? platform? Customer service? variety of products or just how financially sound the broker is? by the way with IB they now have transferred all retail cash accounts to ASIC jurisdiction meaning NO SIPC protection any more , Australian Guarantee fund protection is perhaps not as good as SIPC

#29     Sep 16, 2018
  10. Epicurus

Epicurus

Hi Apollo 13. I'm Sydney based and have struggled with the same issue. The broker that seems to solve this is Tradestation Global. Google it. It's a JV out of the UK using Tradestation friendly graphics interface with Interactive Brokers UK platform. I came across it online a few months ago but haven't had a chance to look into it further as I dont have the time for the moment. It seemed to be accessible to Australian clients.

If you give it a go I'd appreciate feedback on your experience with them.

#30     May 29, 2019