us $ bottom

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Free Thinker, Dec 20, 2003.

1. the us$ looks bottomed to me. dx04h gapped down to a new low friday and closed higher. looks like possible reversal day to me. xau has also been getting weaker possibly signaling a shift in dollar sentiment.
    looking for ideas on the best way to play a dollar reversal here?

2. m22au

m22au

Vhehn,

What's your timeframe? target gain? stop loss?

3. im not doing anything yet. still thinking about it.

4. Buy NEM puts.

5. m22au

m22au

What my questions were leading to ... was that you could be correct in spotting a short-term bottom for the US Dollar.

However, the currency is in a long-term downtrend, and you will be able to make much more money shorting the US Dollar (and buying gold, silver, Australian Dollars, NZ Dollars, Canadian Dollars, South African Rand) over a considerable period, rather than a small gain over a handful of months by buying the US Dollar.

6. currencies are more like bonds than stocks. they don't go to zero. there is a practical limit to how far they can fall against other currencies. i think both fundamentally and technically we are there. time will tell.

7. range

range

I am certainly not an expert in currencies, but judging by the Commitments of Traders reports (from www.cftc.gov), sentiment seems extended. But, extended sentiment is common in a trending market, if that is what this continues to be. Seems like there could be a sharp pull-back at any time, however.

Below are the recent week's statistics, edited for the way I like to look at them:

NON-COMMERCIAL
    LONG | SHORT |SPREADING|
    COMMITMENTS

CANADIAN DOLLAR
    17,627 1,029 45

SWISS FRANC
    17,217 3,963 10

POUND STERLING
    24,923 2,368 10

JAPANESE YEN
    62,421 4,185 2

EURO FX
    39,854 5,071 613

8. howard24

howard24

Wait for something tangible and the form of a key-day or key week reversal [bar chart] signal then build incrementally a Long-US$ position. Until then, the trend is your friend -even if it is looking a bit jaded.

9. m22au

m22au

Point taken, however we disagree on how much further downside there is for the US Dollar. I'd say that the losses seen since 2001 are less than half of the final damage, especially against gold and silver.

10. #10     Dec 21, 2003