urgent trading message re:hurricanes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ghostzapper, Aug 28, 2008.

will 2 major hurricanes hit the us early next week?

1. I think so based on current radar

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. I don't thnik so

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. since i'm not affected, I really don't care

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. AAA30

AAA30

There is a slight wind shear that may effect gustov still looks like it will become a hurricane though. Hanna still in the forming stage.

#21     Aug 28, 2008
  2. they said the same shit when katrina hit, take a look at $wtic chart august 1st 2005 to october 1st 2005, when katrina made landfall august 29th oil had its biggest upday

my guess is thats the day when all the damage predictions come out

#22     Aug 28, 2008
  3. No one had even posted one single thread about the upcoming tropical storm activity this season. I thought that I would get the ball rolling with TS Gustav.

Given the absurd replies on the thread of people cracking "FEMA jokes" . . . it's clear that it really isn't worth even discussing here on ET because no one even trades the ENERGY MARKETS.

That is why I never followed up on my own thread. It was a waste of time.
    Just like it is right now arguing with someone as ignorant as you.

Bye bye James.

#23     Aug 28, 2008

4. Arrrggghhh!!!

What media channel do you have on while your trading that tells you this the second it breaks please mate????

because the fucking bloomberg tv channel that i listen to is just fking useless!!

#24     Aug 28, 2008
  5. Turn it off.

Where are you going to live after Xmas when your rent runs out?:D

#25     Aug 28, 2008
  6. Yep.

http://www.greenfaucet.com/traders-talk/energy-etfs-and-katrina/67521

Crude pops a bit.
    But Nat-Gas goes crazy.

#26     Aug 28, 2008

7. I gna have to try turning this £860 back into a few £1000 over the next few weeks.

Gna wait until all this fucking hurricance nonsense is over though!! :mad:

SO i can then focus on just S&R levels.

I would liek to also try and get a job traidng oil for a prop firm, but dount any will take me by any tiny chance even! :(

#27     Aug 28, 2008
  8. the tropics diagram today is crazy we have two active tropical storms, an orange area which could merge with gustav giving it more energy, and two more possible areas out in the atlantic, just watch todays move in nat gas and uso was because absolutly everyone over hyped the crap out of it and got on one side of the trade.

#28     Aug 28, 2008

9. So if everyone was over-hyping and buying the ol up, (even though it barely spiked today), how come they would have all pulled out today when we had barely scraped $120, and when we wont even get imact till weekend or next week??

Why they dont hold longs over weekend??

And also what is the cheapest site where you can get a decent live stream with oil news, when as soon as IEA say anything it would come out there instantly???

#29     Aug 28, 2008
  10. hughb

hughb

Back in July or August of 2005 a stock showed up in my scan after it moved up in price with an increase in volume, (I don't remember the exact date because I lost my notes when I didn't back them up properly before wiping my hard drive). The company was Sterling Construction and back then it traded on the Amex under the ticker STV. It's now STRL on the Naz.

My trading had been going very well that year and I had a list of stocks on my buy watch but none of them had a good setup to pull the trigger except for STV. The setup was there, although it wasn't a very good one, but I took the trade anyway with a tight stop. I bought 500 shares on 8/24/05 at 16.50, not a very large position for me at that time, (a kings ransom for me now).

I trade on mostly technical analysis so I didn't really know what kind of construction company this was, and I didn't really care. I had only been paying peripheral attention to Katrina which was brewing off shore.

On Sunday night I made this entry in my diary:

I remember waking up to the alarm clock and hearing the the market was slightly down, nothing great shakes, but my stock seemed unaffected and I was not stopped out.

Then the next day my stock went ape shit. And the next day. And the next. I couldn't believe what was happening. There were rumors that Sterling Construction would benefit by getting contracts to rebuild NOLA after the hurricane, even though there was no negotiations going on at the time for any work. Over the next few days it skyrocketed to almost 28 bucks a share, and I was stopped out at about 26 on 9/7/05. In 9 days I made almost 4800 bucks from nothing but unsubstantiated rumors about Hurricane Katrina. And it was a trade I almost didn't take to begin with.

#30     Aug 29, 2008