URGENT, Secure Device Required for TWS

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by SideShowBob, May 15, 2007.

1. I just got my first prompt using the web version of TWS. It worked fine.

A question for IB or anyone -- will I get this prompt after a disconnect from the server (for example if my ISP drops the connection for say 30 seconds) or only if TWS is closed?

SSB

#41     May 16, 2007
  2. Why dont you test it for us!!!!

Pull the network cable out of the back of your PC and plug it back in again after a few minutes.

Let us know what happens :eek:

This will atleast tell us what happens when the internet connection is dropped, it wont test what happens if the remote IB server crashes.

#42     May 16, 2007
  3. Good one aaron.

I thought the same thing.
    It will be nice to logon on sundays an forget about the annoying SD until friday.

#43     May 16, 2007
  4. Yes you will.

I had a little disconnection for a second this afternoon and i had to logon again (with the SD). It happened twice since 2pm et, fortunately i was out of the market at that time.

#44     May 16, 2007
  5. This is going to piss alot of people off!!!

We need an auto SD device for auto traders, or the promised opt out.

#45     May 16, 2007
  6. nove

nove

IB. Please fix that.

If TWS is restarted the security device is justified but for a glitch on the line its disastrous.

#46     May 16, 2007
  7. Whoa, wait a minute. I think the security device is a good idea, but this is totally unacceptable and unworkable. Brief disconnections happen all the time to TWS. Years of experience prove that such disconnections cannot be totally eliminated. Various TWS error conditions, in addition, sometimes require that a brief disconnection, followed immediately by an automatic reconnection, must be deliberately triggered via the ctrl-alt-R feature. If every little TWS disconnection is going to require a manual logon procedure to repair the connection, the result will be disastrous for high-frequency traders. The security device is a good idea, but the procedures definitely need to be re-designed.

#47     May 16, 2007
  8. This should be fairly easy to do.

The IB servers could send a digitally signed 'cookie' back to TWS after login to be used for reconnection. As it only exists in TWS memory no one should be able to see it any way. But just to be safe the cookie could have a life of just 1 hour but well before it expires TWS should request a new one. The cookie could also include your IP address as an extra check so that it cant be copied and sent from another PC.

#48     May 16, 2007
  9. This secure device is starting to sound worse and worse... where is the opt-out.. still no official word concerning the opt-out??

What other brokers provide API trading? Genesis?

#49     May 16, 2007
  10. An idea for IB... if you reconnect within a short period ... say 30 minutes, what about letting a computer with the same NIC card and the same ISP address back in without recertifying? This procedure might alleviate the routine disconnect/reconnect "feature" problem...

#50     May 16, 2007