Urban Meyer on Administrative Leave

Discussion in 'Sports' started by vanzandt, Aug 1, 2018.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. Peter8519

Peter8519

Why would he be held responsible for the crime that his staff committed? Going by the same logic, many bosses would be fired for that many people in jail. Why did the "wife" waited until now? She should have reported it to the authority then.

3. So Joe Paterno should not have said anything and kept it quiet and kept his job?

4. vanzandt

vanzandt

Figures this would come out of Michigan. :D

Fire Urban Meyer immediately. What is Ohio State football waiting for?

Carlos Monarrez | Detroit Free Press
    Ohio State should fire head football coach Urban Meyer immediately.
    If you saw the grotesque pictures of abuse suffered by Courtney Smith that she claims happened at the hands of Zach Smith, her then-husband and one of Meyer’s assistant coaches, you shouldn’t be able to accept or stomach any other conclusion than Meyer’s dismissal.
    If you read the texts of desperation between Courtney Smith and Meyer’s wife, Shelley, about Smith’s ongoing abuse and the struggle to protect herself, all while Zach Smith was still coaching and influencing young men at Ohio State, there shouldn’t be a doubt that Meyer’s career in college football needs to come to a swift end.
    Former ESPN reporter Brett McMurphy broke the story Wednesday that meticulously lays out all the information anyone should need — most notably this statement from Courtney Smith: “Shelley said she was going to have to tell Urban. I said: ‘That’s fine, you should tell Urban.’ I know Shelley did everything she could.”
    In an interview published Wednesday on Stadium, Courtney Smith went further.
    “I do believe (Urban Meyer) knew,” she told the multiplatform sports network, “and instead he chose to help the abuser and enable the abuser and believe whatever story Zach was telling everybody.”
    Zach Smith isn't talking about the accusations. His attorney, Brad Koffel, said Wednesday that Smith will talk "after he and his ex-wife are sworn to testify."
    "Once he gets his chance to tell his side of the events," Koffel continued, "don't be surprised when it is corroborated by every police who ever responded to Ms. Smith's calls."
    Right. Koffel’s statement seems like a spurious claim by a person paid to protect his client. We’ll see if Zach Smith ever talks.
    For now, Urban Meyer’s position is indefensible. He was either complicit in Courtney Smith’s alleged abuse by ignoring information about it at least as far back as 2015. Or he’s an outright liar if he pretends his wife, whom he described last month at Big Ten media days as “my best friend and soul mate,” never told him about Courtney Smith’s abuse.
    [​IMG]
    Detroit Lions great Chris Spielman reacts to Urban Meyer news
    Former Detroit Lions linebacker Chris Spielman, a former All-American at Ohio State who now works as a TV analyst, talks about Urban Meyer.
    Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press
    Ohio State placed Meyer on paid administrative leave while it investigates Courtney Smith’s claims. My guess is the school will fire Meyer and that it will come down to negotiating the terms of a contractual separation.
    At this point, Meyer probably has plausible deniability, which may be the reason he will never admit to knowing anything, other than offer a trite excuse like saying “we all should have done a better job being aware of what was happening and helping Courtney.”
    More: Urban Meyer might be fired because he tried to protect himself
    My heart goes out to Courtney Smith, not only for the abuse she endured but for her bravery in coming forward. But the problem is much, much bigger than one person’s plight. What really worries me is the more widespread damage Zach Smith may have done as a person who influences young men.
    Every time you read about an athlete abusing his wife or girlfriend, you have to wonder where he learned that behavior. Do you think that behavior comes out of nowhere? That it isn’t taught either outright or implicitly?
    “We can’t have someone like this coaching young men,” Courtney Smith told Stadium of her ex-husband. “He’s supposed to be a mentor for young men.”
    My greatest worry about this situation is that it was a failure that could have happened at any other big-time college sports program.
    I hope Meyer’s firing will send a strong message to all coaches and universities — and the young athletes they influence — that no one is too big or too important to ignore signs of abuse and that there must be more diligence on the part of universities to educate their own coaches, no matter how much money they make for the school.

5. destriero

destriero

The article linked in your post was ten minutes old when you authored this thread. IOW your inside knowledge was as old as your paper-trades. "News not out yet."

6. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

Most college football coaches have morality clauses written into their contracts. They don't have to do anything illegal to be fired with cause. They just have to do something deemed to be immoral.

Ohio State could probably cut ties with Meyer if they chose to, but I don't think that will happen. He's probably the 2nd or 3rd best CFB coach on the planet behind only Saban and maybe Swinney. Ohio State is a traditional blue blood program. They care more about winning than morality.

El OchoCinco likes this.
  7. If someone tells you there is a crime being committed and you hide it or forget to tell someone, you can be fired by the company, school, etc. at will because you failed to act.

8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Word is he's gonna have to take the hit and go. Its too bad. He's a great coach. But it is what it is. He won't fight it...he'll put the team first.
    I don't know who they'll get... Fickel just took over the head coaching job at U Cincinnati, he stepped in as head coach when their last coach (Tressel) got fired so he's out unless OSU wants to pony up some big bucks and buy his contract out. That won't happen. He's not good enough yet. He will be, but not yet.

It'll be interesting to see who they hire. They've got plenty of $'s thats for sure.

9. RRY16

RRY16

10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Mothers of both Zach and Courtney Smith claim abuse allegation part of revenge plot

Both mothers claim that Courtney Smith has been plotting to "take down" Zach Smith and Urban Meyer since 2013.
    [​IMG]

If you thought there were enough twists and turns already in the Zach Smith domestic abuse allegations that threaten to take down Urban Meyer and rock the Ohio State football program to its core, apparently we’re just getting started.

According to a report published on Facebook (as all reports on this story are required to be) by author Jeff Snook, the mothers of both Zach and ex-wife Courtney both claim that this is all a vindictive revenge plot by Courtney that has been in the works since as far back as 2013. Per the report, Courtney felt betrayed by her husband cheating on her and has openly discussed taking him and Urben Meyer down since.

“She told me that not one time, but in fact she said it several times over the years,” [Lynn Bruce, Smith’s mother] said.
    She was driven by revenge when she found out her husband had cheated on her, Bruce said.
    “When she found out five years ago that Zach had cheated on her, she was so angry that she vowed to me she would get back at him someday. And she said she would take Urban down, too,” she said. “And this is exactly what she did. She wanted to do as much damage as possible.
    “She has been planning this for some time.”
    Courtney’s own mother, Tina Carano, who is estranged from her, texted Snook to let him know that she believes Zach Smith was acting in self-defense and not being abusive to her daughter. She also echoed the revenge claims.

When asked if she believed her daughter’s claims of physical abuse, she replied, “I believe that Zach was removing himself from an argument and I do not believe he intentionally abused her. I do not believe he actually intentionally swung or punched her … no.”
    As far as ever hearing her daughter say she would “take Zach down,” she replied, “Yes.”
    And when Meyer’s name was mentioned, she added, “I cannot quote her exact words as I don’t remember them word for word, but something to that extent. This is my daughter and I love her but I do not approve of what she has done and how it was done.”
    Following that text, she did not respond to follow-up questions.
    Though Bruce says the vengeance plot goes back to 2013, we know that accusations of domestic abuse reach back to 2009 when Smith was an assistant at Florida under Meyer. He is accused of throwing her against a bedroom wall, an incident that Meyer confirmed knowledge of at Big Ten Media Day. Meyer denied knowledge of 2015 incidents, which was refuted by Brett McMurphy’s second report, which included texts between Courtney Smith and Meyer’s wife, alluding to Urban’s knowledge of the abuse. He was placed on administrative leave following that report but later said that he did report the incident to the “proper channels.” Smith has since publicly denied the abuse allegations, though he has admitted that things “got out of hand.”

One thing that has to be considered in this new report is Snook’s relationship to both Meyer and Zach Smith and the university. Snook is the author of four books about Ohio State football, including “What It Means to Be a Buckeye.” The foreword of that book is written by Urban Meyer. In that foreword, Meyer praises Earle Bruce, the grandfather of Zach Smith and father of Lynn Bruce.

#10     Aug 16, 2018