Ups Back Up Hours Not Minutes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smalltrader35, Mar 15, 2008.

1. How about just connecting a bigger capacity battery (leisure caravan type) to the UPS in place of the 17ah ones, or wouldn't the UPS charge them?

#11     Mar 16, 2008
  2. #12     Mar 16, 2008
  3. Banjo

Banjo

I have done this , I don't have time to get into it. Find a west marine store or like boating supply. The deep cycle batts are closed, no fumes, chargers /inverters/ converters are calibrated to cope with senstive marine electronics, rader, navigation etc. They will have an expert that can guide you thru it. The big bugaboo is as Tums mentioned, proper sine waves. Marine equipt can deal with this as the eletronics are just computers. Don't fall into the trap of gettinng cheaper RV stuff, it's not the same. If I remember, 2 older batts I replaced on boat ran 2 screens and 1 box for about 5 days, 24/7 before needed recharging. Big gel batts meant to cold start diesels tho, don't remember the amps.

#13     Mar 16, 2008
  4. Tums

Tums

Marine electronics use DC. No converter is needed.

Computers/LCD use DC as well... if you can bypass the built-in powersupply and use a DC PSU, you are set.

#14     Mar 16, 2008
  5. Yep. That's why I said "very good inverter". That cheap Coleman junk at Wal-mart probably wouldn't work very well.

Fellow I work with lives way outside town. Would cost $250K to run power lines, so he set up a power system with solar panels, bank of big golf cart batteries, and a couple heavy duty inverters with backup genset. Runs his whole house. Satellite TV, stereos, computers, lights, fridge - everything except any kind of electric heating device.

His inverters (Heart Interface I think?) produce very clean power. Costy tho...

#15     Mar 16, 2008
  6. BCE

BCE

Golf cart batteries work best for this. My friend has two in his RV with 2 solar panels on the roof, a wind generator, and satellite dish. He also has a large gasoline powered generator. He can go anywhere.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Wayne just saw your post above mine. :) Different friend though. :)

#16     Mar 17, 2008
  7. If in high rise, or in an office building, get the APC Smart UPS with battery extensions.

Can last whole day.

Can you recommend a particular model? I have viewed the website and there are many models available. With regards to using a laptop you would be okay to the extent you would have power back up via the battery but you would still need power back up for the routers unless you were using some sort of mobile connections which I wouldn't use for trading. If my view you need wired connections for trading. Thx for the info on this thread from the traders here.

#17     Mar 17, 2008
  8. new$

new$

knew a commerical fisherman in hawaii that used bus batteries .

#18     Mar 17, 2008