Ups and downs trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Alfing, Jul 9, 2018.

1. maxinger

maxinger

entry time : 10:31:47am ET
    entry price : 2776.50
    stop loss : 2774.00

target profit : as mentioned targe RR 2.5 or better

#11     Jul 9, 2018
    Alfing likes this.
  2. Alfing

Alfing

You are very kind. What other futures, beside ES and YM, do you watch?

#12     Jul 9, 2018
  3. TF overflow, you will go nuts using so many of them, especially as a newcomer. Two max for the time being, say Daily and 15min. With so many TFs you will run into conflicting reads which will make you feel like you dont know wtf is going on, keep it simple.

#13     Jul 10, 2018
    treeman and Alfing like this.
  4. Alfing

Alfing

You're right again! I look through all those at the beginning of each session. Usually have M5/M3 on top (largest) and D1/H4 and M15 at the bottom.

#14     Jul 10, 2018
  5. treeman

treeman

Why start on es and not ym?

#15     Jul 10, 2018
  6. Alfing

Alfing

My first foundational book on trading happens to be Brooks' "Reading Price Charts Bar by Bar". He trades ES on M5. To keep the experiment clean, I try to follow to a tee.

For some reason, YM graph in NinjaTrader 8 looks exactly as ES. Need to check with their support.

#16     Jul 10, 2018
  7. _eug_

_eug_

Carefull not to end up like a certain poster here who spent 10 years reading price action bar by bar with nothing to show for it.

#17     Jul 10, 2018
    Alfing likes this.
  8. Alfing

Alfing

That's definitely not where I'd like to see myself in ten, or even one year ;-)

Any particular advice on how to avoid it? Vote by putting in real money in setups? What else?

#18     Jul 10, 2018
  9. _eug_

_eug_

I have not read any Brooks nor am I a consistently profitable day trader. So I am not one to give advice.

#19     Jul 10, 2018
  10. Alfing

Alfing

Looks like it is the majority on this forum. Let me paraphrase the question. How do you avoid becoming an academic trader?

#20     Jul 10, 2018