Upper limits for Radarscreen 2000i and Excel DDE

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mokwit, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mokwit

mokwit

Curious if anyone knows what the upper limits are for RS2000i* and DDE if the processing power is there. Or put it another way, Can RS realistically track 2000 symbols with 5 fields? Also interested in upper limits for Excel/DDE with 3 levels of Bid/offer and a simple alghorithm.

*1000 with historical for TS8 and 2000 if no hiostrical data but not sure about fixed or practical limits for TS2000i

2. maxpi

maxpi

I heard that generally, and I don't recall if it was related to Excel or Radarscreen with DDE, that a few hundred symbols was going to be the upper limit. DDE itself is limited to 2500 open links.

My experience with DDE and historical downloads into Excel is not good basically, it seems to have problems no matter whose DDE link software I am using. I've never used it for live data. My DTNIQ feed works fine with the free plugin from hypertrader with TS2000, 1300 symbols. It might bog down a bit for the first few seconds at the open but basically it is ok. It is an ActiveX type of link.

3. mokwit

mokwit

Maxpi, quick question, what kind of PC Spec i.e. CPU RAM are you using to handle 1300 symbols. Don't want to spend on 2 x 3.4GHz + 4GB RAM if an old 1 GHz with 1 GB will do it...........

4. maxpi

maxpi

I had that running on a 2.4 Ghz Pentium with 512MB of ram. I never tested it against another feed really, but it seemed ok. CPU usage went way up at the open but after half a minute it was back in a good range. The caveat here might be that I was not looking at issues with huge volume but I recall putting INTC in the mix as a stress test and it did not make much difference.