Upgrading Win ME to XP

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Bob777, Mar 4, 2003.

1. The upgrade version will do a clean install if you format your HD and have an older Windows product to prove you are eligible for the upgrade.

Warning: You will lose all data when you format (so make sure you have it backed up somewhere before you begin). Search ET, MS and the web for more information before attempting to do this.

#11     Mar 23, 2003
  2. Bob, I may be wrong, but I sincerely doubt you did a complete, clean install. I'm sorry buy you were given very clear & good advice & you should have taken it.

If you did take this advice and still have these problems, MS will give you UNLIMITED FREE telephone tech support to get XP running properly on your computer.

#12     Mar 23, 2003
  3. I hate to tell you, but he upgrade version will do a complete install. I am POSITIVE b/c I did it myself.

#13     Mar 23, 2003
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

it's correct, I upgraded win98 to 2000 and it created an undo file (just in case I want to reverse back to 98). Then I decided to undo the upgrade using the undo file and the new 2000 said it can not read the incompatible win98 format (say what!)

#14     Mar 23, 2003
  5. gwnorth

gwnorth

XP is by fay better than ME. I had nothing but system crapouts and one too may reformats because it couldn't run smoothly for more than a month. The software people advised against an upgrade and go cleanly with the full install repartitioning the hard drive also. Once ME was completly gone there has been no headaches and a much smother operating system resulting in fewer trips to the liquor store.

God hates a coward.:D

#15     Mar 23, 2003
  6. TGregg

TGregg

Lemme second the comments by gwnorth above. WinMe is not the platform daytraders should use. Win2k and WinXP are both good choices, but WinME and Win98 are not. Nor is Win95. . .

#16     Mar 23, 2003
  7. As ALICE previously posted do a clean install..... get rid of any trace of windows ME!!!!!! pure gargage computer crashing software.

#17     Mar 23, 2003