Upgrading RAM from 4GB to 8GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DallasCowboysFan, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Overnight

Overnight

I had a problem editing my post above to take away the italicized blurb, that was a quote of a response to someone specific on the HP support forum.

test

test2

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    #11     Jan 16, 2017
    DallasCowboysFan likes this.
  2. 1shooter

1shooter

you should be able to buy another 4 gb stick and put it in.

Do a youtube search on how to install it. Take the back off should be easy and make sure there is a spot to support it. Take out the old one and put it back in. Its good practice.
    Order the new one you should have it up and going in no time.
    Super cheap and super easy.
    You should be running a 64 bit version of windows. You can go to computer properties to double check is says window 64bit. Not windows 32bit.

If its 32 hang it up and don't buy it. I really doubt that its 32 though.
    Off the top of my head i think is a 204 pin ddr3 1600hz. Just double check everything don't trust the company someone advice or anything else.

Just open it up pretty easy and check it out on youtube

#12     Jan 16, 2017
  3. 1shooter

1shooter

Double check its ddr3L and not ddr3 i doubt you have ddr3L its very rare and means low frequency. runs a bit cooler and uses less wattage. But extremely rare and even rarer in a laptop. You have to have it wrong. Its has to be ddr3 204 pin 1600. Double check with your own eyes and pop the one out that in there. I would guess no one on the planet has a ddr3L 204 pin. With compounding the cheapness of the processor. (its ok just not a super fast processor) This is standard stuff they should not be throwing ddr3L curve balls.

#13     Jan 16, 2017

4. Yeah, I know how to replace it, but every time I go to a site to find something compatible it says there is no match.

I'll open the back like you suggested later....

#14     Jan 16, 2017
  5. This is what I copied straight from the stats recorded in 'This PC' : 4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)

And the guy from Geek Squad said it was 1.35V.

I knew the AMD6 chip was slow and old, but the laptop was on sale for 279 and it was too good to pass up.........at least at the time.

The timing was bad when my old one went on the fritz. But it was not my choice that the graphics card went out on me and left me with a dark screen.

I was looking at a Dell for about 600-700 and then I saw this one on sale for less than half the price and ..........I should have gone for Dell.

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time. It was Christmastime and I was already spending more money for gifts etc......and I knew I was going to be getting a new iPhone7......which I did a week later.

It seemed like a good decision at the time. But, you pay now or pay later.

This one gets the job done, but it locks up from time to time and it's annoying.

#15     Jan 16, 2017
  6. 1shooter

1shooter

that woudl be a 240 pin. I am still having a hard time believing it. Unless they where just dumping old parts and made a board to suit it. Companies have been known to do it, ddr3 is just about dead now. 8gb will be fine for anything you want to do.

I would buy it from newegg.com or ebay.com

#16     Jan 16, 2017
  7. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

@#@}]]<{®¥€£}\÷[¥

Sorry, just had an episode. Can't you fuxxing read your manufacturer's website? What is it with you kids that you rather waste tons of time and seek wrong advice rather than just going to the fuxxing source to get your information you are seeking. Finding how much memory your machine's board supports and what type is something even retards can accomplish.

PS : more ram does not make your machine faster other than the speed increase from previously starving your OS from needed minimum memory. So 64gb is not "fast". Geez.

#17     Jan 16, 2017
  8. Simples

Simples

Not everyone has your experience and manufacturers seem to dumb down specs, so easy to get it wrong. With lots of RAM you can actually get a speed increase by turning off swap and do more like running several VMs at the same time. Ofc not like cpu but it's silly when computers are sold with too little RAM and bad components. Which is why Ive given up on laptops, too warm, noisy, underspecced, generally hostile to productivity and upgrades as well.

#18     Jan 16, 2017
  9. Trader13

Trader13

Suggest you look more closely into why your screen locks up for a minute or 2. That's a pretty serious hang up! Throwing more hardware at it is generally a last resort.

Check processes running in the Task Manager. Also, I recall that HP used to load a lot of 3rd-party bloatware on their new PC's. That's something else to look into, you might have all kinds of stuff running in the background that you don't want and aren't aware of.

#19     Jan 17, 2017
  10. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Quite contradictory. A beginner who seeks advice on an anonymous board how to upgrade memory certainly won't run VMs. And every laptop manufacturer clearly states how many banks of memory the laptop Mainboard has and what type of memory it accepts. Do we need to dig out the info for OP or can he do a simple Google search is the real question here.

#20     Jan 17, 2017