Up-to-date symbol database?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by mechanix, Dec 21, 2003.

1. mechanix

mechanix

I´m building a database for storing/filtering historical quotes and heavy datamining - I need a efficient way to access up-to-date information about:

* all symbols currently traded on Nasdaq, Nyse, CME, CBOT....
    * all new symbols added to the exchanges....
    * all changes to symbols / mergers, acquisitions....
    * information about trading days and trading hours....

My goal is to automate the process of adding new symbols and updating changes to symbols in my database. Do you know of any databases, online services or websites where this information is available for free / fee-based ?

Best regards,

Mechanix

2. msfe

msfe

3. mechanix

mechanix

Hi MSFE,

I use both Esignal and DTN IQFeed as quote providers - and I'm familiar with the Esignal symbol lookup functionality....

But the information provided by Esignal is not very useful;

* it is NOT complete and NOT up-to-date....
    * it doesn't provide a compiled list of new symbols, changes to symbols, delisted symbols....

I have to check manually (read through the whole list) to find the information I need. My database contains tickdata for approx. 2,000 symbols, so it is a very time consuming process to check the Esignal symbol guide and the normal websites like http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/symbolchangehistory.asp manually....

The Pros must have access to some sort of service/database with the information I need - other EliteTrader members please help!

Best regards,

Mechanix

4. Try these guys. If they don't have it, they may like the idea and whip it right up for their service.

www.Trade-ideas.com

5. simsim

simsim

There is a site maintained by SEC that keeps upto date list of the symbols. All the major trading sites pull data from that site. U need to search for the word SYMBOL LOOK UP. I have forgotten the exact url of FTP server. But it is maintaned some where.

6. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

7. tuna

tuna

If keeping your database up to date (symbols etc) is what your trying to achieve take a try of this,already does what your trying to do automatically...Just a happy customer....

www.premiumdata.net