Up 20% YTD, is that good?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bwolinsky, Aug 14, 2008.

Is being up 20% YTD in FY2008 a good return?

1. The market is down 10%, so it's an exceptional return

27 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. I've returned greater than 20% this year.

30 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. Just being up this year is an accomplishment.

16 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. Sharpe was 1.3 for my monthly returns for the past 500+days. It's on that link if you were wondering. I'm kind of miffed why no one has picked up that you'd need to go to the link to say anything.

#11     Aug 15, 2008
  2. eagle

eagle

It's relative to your possible drawdown. If it's very small then excellent accomplishment.

#12     Aug 15, 2008
  3. ScapGF

ScapGF

Don't be miffed, it takes time for people to look over everything. I think supplying a few other facts aside from the "up 20%" part in the original post would have potentially thwarted unnecessary comments. No big deal :)

Congrats on your success!

#13     Aug 15, 2008
  4. Agreed, it is generally best to start a thread with mucho information. There are more traders on ET down by at least 20% than up more than 20%, so the doubters will always post more.

#14     Aug 15, 2008
  5. Kind of a dumb poll. The choices are not mutually exclusive. Obviously up 20% is good. Many would need to vote "all of the above"

#15     Aug 15, 2008
  6. I am also up 20% YTD. But down 10% this month and 17% off my peak. Which makes me feel like i`m down huge.

Today I have decided to take the gloves off for the rest of August and regroup.

Drawdowns really test your commitment to your system and the biz.

#16     Aug 15, 2008
  7. Quite true.

#17     Aug 15, 2008
  8. I agree.

Good stuff!

#18     Aug 15, 2008
  9. #19     Aug 15, 2008
  10. I know you won't be the only one to ask about other systems on there, but, as a vendor, those fills by c2 are usually spot on, especially for futures contracts and etfs. Intraday stock systems have been shown to be bullshit on the site, in nearly every case. There's a couple EOD stock trading systems that don't have the problem, but ones that last for a few minutes are never possible via c2 or any platform for that matter.

I'll let it get to 100 votes to see what the poll says. I'm not sure I believe that proportion of people visiting are up more than 20%, but it's obviously not scientific.

If we count the A and C response together, I think most would be pretty happy with it.

#20     Aug 15, 2008