unusual VIX term structure

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ajensen, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ajensen

ajensen

Why are VIX futures inverted (April at 16.41, May at 14.94) when the April futures are not at a very high absolute level? And when the front month VIX future (UX1) is higher than the second month (UX2), usually spot VIX is even higher than UX1, but now it is lower, at 16.01.

Some events that could be affecting the VIX term structure are the Good Friday holiday (after which VIX should rise, other things being equal) and the upcoming French elections.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I have no market opinion, but in the past it has signaled a short term market drop or has occurred during a market drop.

3. Geopolitical risks, earnings and French elections in April.

shatteredx likes this.
  4. Chubbly

Chubbly

Robert Morse likes this.
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Bob, it's the French election. The structure reverts right after the election. Nothing to see here.

6. VIX looks disturbing right now, I'm kind of suspicious.

7. Chubbly

Chubbly

Don't think that is what people are nervous about. I hope you bought a lot of puts......

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/13/u-s-may-launch-strike-if-north-korea-reaches-for-nuclear-trigger.html

One of the big concerns of the week has been the fact that a North Korean missile launch is speculated to come this weekend to commemorate its Day of the Sun, a holiday honoring the birth of its founder, Kim Il Sung.

The launch was expected to be in the middle of the three-day Easter holiday weekend

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    shatteredx likes this.
  8. i960

i960

Disagree IMO - the curve started flattening the day after FOMC. Now sure, it may be coincidental date-wise, but my gut tells me it's not as simple as "French election" (which ends in May anyway?).

9. ajensen

ajensen

Interesting, but the short-term (9 calendar days) volatility index, VXST closed today (Thursday) only at 12.75, well below VIX at 15.96. If the market were especially concerned about possible events this weekend, I'd expect VXST to be above VIX.

10. Maverick74

Maverick74

The french election is April 23rd. If no one wins a majority, there is a runnoff on May 7th. The vix term structure goes back into contango immediately after the election.

#10     Apr 14, 2017