Unusual Login Attempts Issue - Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TrastyTrader111, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Hello fellow traders, I need help with an unusual login problem on my trading platform that seems to be a security concern. When trying to log in today, I faced an invalid password/username error.

Recognising something was amiss, I promptly tried to reset my password online but got an error saying the reset time had expired, even though my attempts were made within a min from clicking on the reset link.

To make the matter worst, my account was automatically logged out after just 2 failed logins and my multiple attempts to reset the password were rejected by the system.

I'm worried about my account security and these odd system behaviors. Has anyone else experienced this? How common is it, and what can we do to protect our accounts? I'm also curious about the typical password reset timeframes brokers use.

My attempts were rejected even when made within a minute. I've attached screenshots of the reset attempts and rejections.

Thank you for your help and insights. If you've faced similar issues or have preventive measures, I'd love to hear from you.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. DaveV

DaveV

Where does TastyTrade send the reset password link. If it is to your email address, then your email login/password may be compromised. If so change it.

3. VicBee

VicBee

Yes, such things do happen and usually after an update, as a way to validate account holders, I suppose. I got caught in such loop once or twice but managed to resolve the issue within a short time, like 4 hours on the freakin' phone with inept CS reps.:banghead:

TrastyTrader111 likes this.
  4. %%
    ABOUT 1% of the time, broker error[SCHW....... in my case];
    99%, its me, temp power blip, or God knows what.
    Some times those little spin circles, slow down things or goof up a log in. Today=Ok.
    Have noticed a delayToday, ,maybe rainstorm related??
    IBKR had a policy of recommending 2 brokers-accounts;
    SCHW + 2 banks+ money market+ another business /works fine.
    IBKR seldom answered the phone , but problem usually got resolved anyway.:caution:

5. Lee-me

Lee-me

It's not often that this happen, you can activate 2FA on your accounts for more security, and also try and contact the support for help.

6. Thanks, I initiated the same password reset link, was allowed to change and managed to log in last night without need to contact support for assistance.

Lee-me and Picaso like this.
  7. That doesn't make the matter worse. That is the best that can happen to you if there is any problem.
    If you were able to use the same link to reset your password it means that the system was faulting or updating in some way, and the administrator had to log out every user to deploy something.

Admins trigger logouts when they need to make changes in the platform. The issue I see here is that you didn't know there was an outage. Poorly informed it seems. You should get a banner when you log in that the system is about to log you out if they are doing any maintenance.

But if you were logged out and your account was blocked for a period that is perfect behavior. Very frustrating for you for some time but the most secure.

Picaso and TrastyTrader111 like this.

8. I completely agree with the measures taken by the brokers to ensure the security of our accounts but scheduled maintenance are usually done over the weekend and given notice.

Fortunately, I found out that my system wasn't logged out as stated. This time, I even obtained a 2FA code to proceed, instead of the error message stating I had exceeded the password reset time window.

Overall, I appreciate all the helpful insights shared by fellow forum members, and I hope that brokers will continue to take steps to ensure the security of our accounts while also keeping us informed about any scheduled maintenance or updates.

Thank you all.