Unusual CME market opening time

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Owaco, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Owaco

Owaco

Does anyone know why the CME opening was delayed 30 minutes until 17:30 (CDT) instead of the usual 17:00 on trade date 30 April 2018, i.e. at 17:30 on 29 April 2018? As far as I can tell, there were no holidays or other preannounced reasons for this delay, and no mention of it in the ES Journal - 2017/2018 thread.

More generally, is there anywhere online that keeps track of unexpected market closures due to circuit breakers, computer glitches, etc.? (For backtesting purposes.)

2. Owaco

Owaco

I received a response from the CME that it was, in fact, due to a Globex technical glitch.

newbunch likes this.
  3. Did you ever hear back about how to get a history of market closures? I'm facing the same issue. Even finding a source for regular market closes I'm finding to be a pain. The CME website lists trading hours for the past couple of years but longer would be helpful!

4. Owaco

Owaco

Unfortunately, no. Currently, I try as best as possible to infer such anomalous events from the market data itself, but would definitely appreciate a catalogued history, at least to verify their detection.