Unusual a-squared warning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanack, Oct 24, 2005.

1. alanack

alanack

I did a clean re-install of XP two days ago, and am getting this warning from a-squared when I open Internet Explorer:

a-squared guard alert!

File name: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Diagnosis: Found a possible LAN bypass backdoor or spyware

What does this mean?: While executing the program a² detected a possible malicious behavior. The program tries to invisibly send data to the internet. If you are sure you want that program to continue its invisible data transfers allow it. If you are unsure or you don't know that program terminate it and send it in for further analysis.

Runs of Ad-Aware, Spybot, A-Squared, AVG Free, Microsoft Antispyware and Panda Activescan all come up clean.

I might mention I also switched over from RoadRunner to SBC DSL a few days ago, but am not using SBC's software.

Thanks.

Alan

2. Did you try firefox?

3. Bsulli

Bsulli

4. alanack

alanack

I ran RootkitRevealer and it found no discrepencies, so I guess everything is OK. Thanks.

Alan

5. alanack

alanack

Bsulli:

I just ran RootkitRevealer a second time, and this time it did come up with three items. Two data mismatches, each of 4 bytes, and a file of 1.01 MB described as "Hidden from Windows API." Is it possible this last file might be causing the problem, and if so, what next? Thanks.

Alan

6. Bsulli

Bsulli

Towards the bottom of the link I posted there is a good explanation of the various things your seeing. That that first.

Bsulli