Unregulated vs Regulated brokers

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by nealvan, Jan 4, 2008.

Is it better for a broker to be regulated?

1. Yes, it protects the trader and allows for investigations by a legal board.

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No.. Regulations are not a failsafe. Reputation and service are more important than being officiall

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. pipeguy

pipeguy

Црф
    I don't understand what's the problem if your broker makes market for you. After all somebody should lose on the other side if you win. Other LPs will try as well to offer conditions unadvantageous for traders, so I still see no difference LP or your broker..

#21     May 15, 2018
  2. Xela

Xela

And should win when you lose. Do you want that "somebody" to be the same party who controls the prices, holds all your deposited funds, and also makes up and interprets all the rules governing the transactions, or might it be preferable for the "somebody" to be a random and anonymous stranger, without your "broker" having any incentive for you to lose? [​IMG]

For many traders, it's not a very difficult question. Some might even regard it as a "no-brainer". But your own answer to it is up to you, of course. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    #22     May 15, 2018
  3. Babaha

Babaha

The fact that the broker is "regulated" does not give any additional protection to the trader. "Regulator", means that the broker pays contributions to be in the membership of а regulator. If the broker is not a deceiver, then it will work honestly even without regulation.

#23     May 16, 2018
  4. Xela

Xela

A widespread myth. It's just factually incorrect: for example, using a broker that's FCA-regulated in the UK - regardless of the customer's location - provides a £50,000 government-backed guarantee against various eventualities (including the broker's insolvency, as many customers of Alpari-UK discovered, to their great relief, not so long ago ... that sounds very much like "additional protection", doesn't it?).

There are other examples, too, illustrating the importance of good regulation.

There are reasons why some brokers choose either to be unregulated or to be "regulated" in the Seychelles, Vanuatu or the Caribbean, and to put it mildly, they're not reasons designed for the protection of their customers.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    #24     May 16, 2018
  5. CSEtrader

CSEtrader

Our story is another example of why for instance, some big banks are choosing to open off-shore location and treat their clients as we were here in the Bahamas. And the same was in Switzerland towards client from behind the Iron Curtains. Our full story of horror is here https://letsmaketheworldfairer.wordpress.com/ , hope you may take a look or on my thread on ET [trading couple for 3 years are harassed by UBS Bahamas, your help will bring victory started on 19 April 2018]
    , were so many has barked at me but true and wise has signed in.
    To summarize - regulation is a strong good foundation for traders rights to be respected, execution goes to the exchanges and not finishing up in the bank's clerks tables, feeding white-colors criminals. for the past 9 years, we are in was and are still determined to bring it to the courts and so to the victory. The victory is almost guaranteed because of the existence of the regulations.

#25     May 20, 2018
    Xela likes this.
  6. pipeguy

pipeguy

Of course somebody who does that. At least I can point a finger to somebody if something bad happens. When the somebody doesn't exist in case of decentralized system who will be guilty if you take loss?
    Responsibility matters more that restrictions you are bound to. That's why we have government, not anarchy, because losing something in the order is always less than losing something in the chaos

#26     May 27, 2018
  7. CSEtrader

CSEtrader

Anarchy is not chaos, but an absence of bureaucratic structures dependant on your pocket and forcing you to agree with any mediocre decision they may undertake [.
    The responsibility for loses is totally on us, while the responsibility for bad advice and bad execution is totally on the service providers.
    To enforce the law and regulations to respect our rights as traders is our duty and aim.
    Governments are of little help, sadly they mostly consist of 9 to 5 mentality operators, and little regard for the impact their occupation has on society. No risk or responsibility, we are two planets on different orbits.
    I welcome you to our website, just to have an idea where dishonest service providers, some of the most powerful in the industry, may harras you if the law and regulations are not enforced.
    To conclude - unregulated brokers are an obvious disaster, while even regulated are doing what they do in the jurisdiction where they feel not to be properly supervised. Again - they are 9 to 5 mentality persons and we are the tribe of free beings.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    #27     May 27, 2018
  8. pipeguy

pipeguy

When you take decision, as a rational indivudual you should always maximize your own utility. But your interests can cross mine - who gonna be the judge? You or me? There comes the need for arbitrage. To maximize social welfare we have to delegate some functions and resources to the unique body which have: unlimited horizon of planning, subject to formal rules where no individual identity can be tracked.

It's called government. Bad government doesn't mean government doesn't work at all. Learn history we have this taken out not of thin air but thousands years of evolution. Who are you to judge what we need and what we don't need? A human who will live 60-70 years, who need to take care on your own family? We are all cockroaches trying to voice our opinions but some of them are definitely too loud

#28     May 30, 2018