Unpresidented VIX Spike Suggests A Positive Week Ahead

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortie, May 9, 2010.

SPY Next Week

1. Bullish

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Flat

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Bearish

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  4. I prefer not to say

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. riskfreetrading had a nice short call today in his blog:

"...
    2. At around 12:15PM: Nasdaq1-100 index NDX is at 1960. Trading models are telling us to take the profits on the longs, and to get ready to consider entering the short side.

3. At around 12:50PM: Nasdaq1-100 index NDX is at 1963. Trading models are telling us to start trading Nasdaq-100 from short side, to do it in a scaling manner under assumption that motivated sellers would be the area of current price and 1% higher.

4. At around 2:30PM: Ndx just crossed below 1949. Models are telling us to take profits on short positions, and possible buyers might cause cause a sort of rebound. The top is 1966 so far, and models suggest shorts at around that number. Profits of models on shorts are therefore around 16 Ndx points. "

http://financialtraders.blogspot.com/

#31     May 11, 2010
  2. noddyboy

noddyboy

the drop is over -- it is going to the sky! buy now!

#32     May 12, 2010
  3. Not. As I said before this is a bounce. Trade the volatility. On that note have your shit together----I turned a 20k winner into a 5k loser due to technical shit. Even when you get it right you get whacked occasionally in this business:confused:

We're gonna get the real drop soon---end of May is the day as they say so do not delay or pay.

#33     May 12, 2010
  4. 1 pt sweeps in BOTH directions this am. and that isn't even any volatility yet. That bailout in the EUROZONE is the Central Banks VIX. They're shitting their pants. The vix in the equities ain't goin' down. That Polly Pureheart daily climbing gov't supported low vix rally into Mid-April is over. The market's are roiled......

#34     May 12, 2010
  5. Up we go! Rocket man....wheee...

Long and strong wins the game. Can't beat the rigged market. Stay long, stay often.

#35     May 12, 2010
  6. Crazy market action. 4 pt spikes on low volume. Market profile trading is absolutely killing it!!!

#36     May 12, 2010
  7. Even better. Keeps going up, I don't care about the spikes. Up, up, up.

Thanks, Banana Ben!

#37     May 12, 2010
  8. Seriously, I am shaking my head with this stuff but whatever. Banana Ben leader of the Banana Republic Zimbabwe, er I mean the G7

#38     May 12, 2010
  9. You can shake your head all you want. you can post 100 technical reasons why the market shouldn't be doing what it is, and double the amount of fundamental reasons why it shouldn't. But it is.

And that is all that matters. Buying has been profitable (for well over a year now). Selling has not.

That will, of course, come to an end someday (probably spectacularly). But until it does, I prefer to make money going long "risk" (and gold) until - if ever - sanity comes back to this earth.

#39     May 12, 2010
  10. The really interesting thing about today's move is that it's not being echoed anywhere else. Currency markets are showing extreme caution (no risk-on behavior at all) and fixed income is rather adverse as well.

The Vix is down, but you're not seeing it anywhere but in stocks. Something smells rotten. But can't go with my nose, have to go with price.

#40     May 12, 2010