"Unless something is settled, it's going to be a bloodbath Monday"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Daal, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I'm not sure ... Last few days are big gap downs ... mostly rangebound days on each... I would think heavy *actual* selling would occur intraday, not on gaps. If there was institutional selling, i would've bet it was on Monday and Tuesday.

Who knows ... I'd like to know the real story.

#21     Sep 14, 2008
  2. Your gap down is my Asian market trend day. And my gap is your US market trend day. I am expecting a rangy sort of day on Monday in Asia ... so you probably wont' get much of a gap.

Hey, but what do I know?

#22     Sep 14, 2008
  3. I am referring to LEH stock price ... not continuous futures price on indexes.

#23     Sep 14, 2008
  4. as long as we focus on LEH et al, how can we focus on the future?

let these things go under is what I say.

you guys want this to drag out for 10 years?

#24     Sep 14, 2008
  5. Daal

Daal

if they put lehman in some kind of bankruptcy the fear will be so great that the fed will have to ease tuesday. count on it

#25     Sep 14, 2008
  6. achilles28

achilles28

Anyone notice the strategy? Wallstreet to chip in and strip bad assets from Lehman and incorporate them under a new name (ie, "Bad bank")?

The remaining gets absorbed by a suitor, similar to Bear and their bond value still trades close to par...

A lot of it has to do with a CDO fire-sale. But most of it is CDS exposure....

#26     Sep 14, 2008
  7. SlyFlo

SlyFlo

You won't rebuild SQUAT until you re-build the political system and throw these morons from the past 8 years out (...they really should be in jail!).

#27     Sep 14, 2008
  8. Wow an article about this, even proposing CDS prices has an impact on short seller activity:

Then the bears came out in droves. Short interest in Lehman rose to 11.9% on Sept. 8, a day that the stock fell almost 13% to $14.15. Sept. 9, the short interest climbed to 15.5% and the shares fell 45%. Short interest rose to 16.8% on Sept. 10, as the stock fell about 7%. Data for Thursday and Friday's trading haven't yet been released.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122124956990029341.html?mod=hpp_us_whats_news

#28     Sep 14, 2008
  9. cszulc

cszulc

Very interesting out there, haven't had an announcement yet, and Reuters is reporting just recently:

British bank Barclays pulls out of bidding for Lehman Brothers: source 1:16pm EDT (Reuters)

#29     Sep 14, 2008
  10. This may help explain your short interest numbers and theories. Be sure to note the various dates...
    http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf/pdf/index/lychnobitic374.pdf

#30     Sep 14, 2008