University study finds that self identified leftists don't understand basic economics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by phenomena, Jun 8, 2010.

1. #21     Jun 10, 2010
  2. Too bad the study is full of shit, as covertibility was kind enough to post an explanatory link in another thread:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/06/are-you-smarter-than-george-mason.html

The Right is just brimming with junk science: bullshit surveys, intelligent design, climate change denial...

How utterly fascinating that the Right, as a group, looks down on the very well educated but at the same time wishes to speak authoritatively on matters academic and scientific.

#22     Jun 10, 2010
  3. Mav88

Mav88

We are talking economics here, it's not possible to define 'the right' based on everything else.

The choice is between freedom and government enforced egalitarianism. No one is arguing for anarchy.

The left certainly has had their share of junk science, we scientists have had to fight battles against the junk science of the afrocentrists, the new agers, and PC academics who pushed the view that science was simply another belief system no better than any else.

#23     Jun 10, 2010
  4. Yannis

Yannis

There's no fact here... you're dreaming and just show your bias.

Both parties want to improve the country, but they go at it from different perspectives. The dems want to give money to people (they claim they target the poor but they also pad the wallets of lawyers, teachers, etc) while the repubs would rather keep taxes low and let the free market create jobs for everyone. You can argue either side, you obviously like the former, I like the latter.

Wrt budget deficits and national debt, it's the Congress that holds the purse strings and they ultimately bear this responsibility, not the president, who just proposes budgets and priorities but cannot make it happen.

#24     Jun 10, 2010
  5. Oh, so you're a scientist now? Be a good sport, Mav, and get back under your rock. You fellow scientists are scurrying about with worry in your absence.

#25     Jun 10, 2010
  6. lol, gabfly you crack me up :D

#26     Jun 10, 2010
  7. Mav88

Mav88

PhD- Optical Physics , semi retired

many patents, refereed journal articles, etc...

and you? what qualifies you to say I am not a scientist?

libs are such asses, why?

#27     Jun 10, 2010
  8. Yannis

Yannis

Hey, me too, PhD Physics - High Energy Theory, UVA... Do you think they care? :)

#28     Jun 10, 2010
  9. Your posts.

#29     Jun 10, 2010
  10. LOL!!! That's right up there with "I've read economics books before!"

#30     Jun 10, 2010