University of California

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ngkh, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Banjo

Banjo

Let's clarify. You keep using Uni of Cal to describe USC, the uni of cal , UC system, is the system that is the upper tier of state created schools . They all have UC before the city of the school.
    UCLA = UC Los Angeles, UCI = UC Irvine , UCSD= UC San Diego, etc. These schools are highly regarded and you can transfer between them.
    You are correct, the number of applicants is huge and most apply very early so getting shut out may have nothing to do with an applicants perceived quality.
    USC is a private school. It was once a party school but it's academic ratings have come way up in the last 15 yrs. I'm an alumn as is my son. L A is past it's prime as many big cities are and the school is downtown. They are doing a lot of urban renewal but the area around it is definitly not the best.. USC is safe and the students are very well protected but LA is no Singapore.
    Also there is the air quality , it's not Singapore. It's going to set you back $60k plus per yr as will any private school of repute. All that negativity out of the way, she will get a good education and network with a lot of future successful people. Much depends on where she wants to work , locales have a way of looking to local grads first. A law firm in San Francisco will look for Stanford or Berkley hires, if for no other reason than those schools will have people already working there. In L A they will look for USC or UCLA grads. USC has a great architectual school, the environmental studies dept probably shares many courses.

Bit of a ramble but I'm doing something else. Ask specific questions if you like . I'm a long time LA resident.

#11     Apr 29, 2010
  2. ngkh

ngkh

#12     Apr 29, 2010
  3. saying the area around USC is not the best is an understatement. i'm a guy and even i wouldn't feel safe walking alone at night in that area. it's very ghetto

#13     Apr 30, 2010