University of Arizona Investments Club Looking for Speakers

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by kidPWRtrader, Jul 31, 2007.

1. kidPWRtrader

you must be some kind of a joke

you show up here, you don't know anyone on this board and you select a person to speak to students

you have no idea what you are doing do you

I'll just leave you with this question

Why do you think successful traders like me will never take your invitation???

#21     Aug 8, 2007
  2. Why do you think I will take you seriously if you never read my entire first post? I prefaced myself with the very same fact that you just stated.

And I have been contacted by a successful trader who is willing to speak (that is not Timmay, although I still do not understand what the negative bs is about him ).

No need to be cynical. My contacts are limited - there is nothing I can say about that. Under the circumstances, I have in my opinion done pretty well considering last year most of our speakers were for the most part salesmen.

And as to your question... I'll let you answer that yourself since it probably has more to do with your character than mine.

#22     Aug 8, 2007
  3. hey dipshit, I already spoonfed you three links to satisfy the request of providing reasoning behind my statements.

So, lemme get this right...Timmay charges $100 an hour to talk on the phone, but he will travel to AZ to talk to you and your fellow lemmings about trading for free?

hey wait a minute? is he giving the seminar at a rest stop on the highway? at night? is your name twentysomething?

where the f are you!!?? where the f are you!!??

#23     Aug 8, 2007
  4. You made a claim saying that I am not who I am (sarcastically or not, I didn't sense that part). I gave you my name. I have no intention to fight you in a duel or octagon. There are no secrets from my side of the fence is all.

Let me ask you a question then (try not to get angry, I know its hard). How do I get speakers if not in this way?

What other choice do I have?

It's not a learn how to trade meeting. It's a learn the basics of trading meeting. I don't expect anyone to emulate the speakers and nor do I think it is possible. Good principles never change though and even a guru could teach those. I don't have any illusions that the members of our club will suddenly be making any profits through one meeting. I don't have any illusions about trading, period.

My only goal in starting this thread was to improve our club and the members in it. I am sorry that you have felt so defensive about everything. I am not here to shit on your day, believe it or not.

#24     Aug 8, 2007
  5. kidPWRtrader

here is the thing, successful traders especially day-traders don't need to be a member of any groups and more than likely will find it a waste of time

those that have an edge of some kind whether OHLC data based or other will NEVER reveal that under ANY circumstance

if I picture myself in front of students I can tell them some basics but not reveal anything significant

you see that is a problem, we can share things that are not useful

and those you find that are willing to tell you everything,

just ask them, if they have any other job besides trading

if they do, they are a fraud

see what I mean

good luck

#25     Aug 8, 2007

6. Hey man I wasn't actually accusing you of being twentysomething, it was a joke from the other thread I referenced my first post. I definitely understand your wanting to improve yourself in the investing and trading world....but like Chloride said, they may blab off at the mouth, but no one is ever going to give you anything of value in that sense.....not if they are advertising themselves like Tim, etc are.

It's kind of like those credit card things you get in the mail....if they were legitimate, word of mouth would take care of their PR...but they are not, so they bombard you with advertising and false promises to overwhelm your good sense.

Honest to God, the best advice I can give you is to read read read with a very critical eye(s :D ) and separate the wheat from the chaff. Watch the markets, read William Gallacher's Winner Take All, you don't have to adopt his hardcore views, but he offers a ton of insight. Don't spend your time on people like Timmay.

If you have a few minutes, check out those threads and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry- I just was on the other thread about Timmay and it gets a little over the top in there...then I come over here to a calm peaceful thread and get all trigger happy. ha ha

#26     Aug 8, 2007
  7. Yes it is "a waste of time" in the sense that no it won't materially add to your pocket if you have nothing to sell. Some accomplished people though have nothing to sell and are wealthy enough to pass a few bits and pieces along. For example, my mentor offers me help for absoluetely nothing in return. I think a part of his incentive is to help me as it makes him feel good that he can help in my development as a trader.

Part of the reason why I am President is because I do enjoy interacting with people, although as a trader I make my decisions by myself. I get a very cool perspective on crowd psycology as well interacting with people that don't know anything to fundamental investors that see something that I would never pay attention to. I also have to admit that I do enjoy helping people that arn't lazy and are willing to commit to partake in something that I find very enjoyable.

I see what you mean by revealing an edge. But surely you do agree that you can reveal most parts of a trading method and nobody will be able to properly utilize it except for those dedicated and experienced enough to fully see its potential. Also, not all systems have an "edge" based concept although I cannot actually myself determine whether they can or cannot be affected by multiple users (in anything but illiquid markets that is).

Believe me, I realize the irony in my request. At the same time, I still think that this could be potentially beneficial for everyone. Yes, if Tim wants to plug his book that's perfectly fine as long as he delivers good information. And please, I don't want to discuss peoples characters in here... let's stay on topic. (not necesarily reffering to you, just generally)

#27     Aug 8, 2007
  8. It's my experience in life that you don't necesarily have to reveal secrets to have a material impact on someone. Sometimes, simple success stories work wonders for motivation.

Trading is an obsession of mine. I read too much sometimes to tell you the truth. I can't get enough...

Also, I am not booking speakers to make "idols" or anything like that. I am very independent person. I actually declined to continue interning at a hedge fund recently because I wanted to pursue what I thought suited my style more. (but this isn't really about me so i degress)

I will check out his book, thanks. Unforunetely sort of short on cash right now so I can only make use of PDFs I can dig up using p2p stuff.
    I try my best to remain levelheaded :). It's no problem.

That said, Timmay is sending me his book in September for a preread. I think I'd like to judge him from that instead of the thread. I could probably save some time too considering how long those threads are...

#28     Aug 8, 2007
  9. lol yeah good point

#29     Aug 8, 2007