University of Arizona Investments Club Looking for Speakers

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by kidPWRtrader, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I don't really know what to expect when posting this message, but what the hell let's give it a try.

I am already full aware that most traders don't prefer to do such things.

Basically, I am looking for anyone in the business who is not a salesman who can give some actual advice to college students on how to trade/invest.

I am the President of the Investments Club out of Tucson, Arizona @ the University of Arizona. Our contacts (we are a new club) are limited to local branches of merrill, chase, smith and barney, msf financial, ag edwards, etc.

In the past, speakers from here have been somewhat helpful, but have offered limited practical advice. I am looking for more sides to the spectrum... for self made people perhaps, to traders and managers that work at these branches that want to show students what making money is really about, etc.

I want to setup a forum or workshop of some sort in mid September where there will be an opportunity for club members/none members to learn.

The basics of trading methodology(psychology and methods), insight into the current status of the economy (subprime would be a great topic), different investment styles, etc. Anything to make it worthwhile.

There will be press coverage and a large audience if I am able to get a good set of speakers going - that is an incentive. Depending upon travel costs, the club may be able to fly out a few speakers into the Tucson area.

Thanks guys...

2. great idea---here's a couple names who do this sort of thing and "may" be interested:

jim rogers jim@jimrogers.com great for macro perspective

tim sykes tim@timothysykes.com microcap and hedgefund startups

jonathan hoenig jonathan@capitalistpig.com young guy who made good

james altucher---- <i> James Altucher is president and founder of Stockpickr LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of TheStreet.com and part of its network of Web properties, and a managing partner at Formula Capital, an alternative asset management firm that runs a fund of hedge funds. He also is a weekly columnist for The Financial Times and the author of the books Trade Like a Hedge Fund, Trade Like Warren Buffett and SuperCa$h. Previously, Altucher was a managing partner at technology venture capital firm 212 Ventures and was CEO and founder of Vaultus and Reset Inc. He holds a bachelor's degree from Cornell and was a doctoral candidate at Carnegie Mellon University. He is also a nationally ranked chess master.</i> vishnu via et private message

any of these guys would make a great speaker---just be cautious of anyone who would like to turn this into a "system sale:" etc. book authors, however, are cool in my opinion and motivated to do such things.

best wishes,

surf

3. Ohhh...Pleazzze...

Jack Hershey trumps them ALL.

He lives right there in Tucson.

College students learning IN PERSON by him. Who could ever invision an opportunity like this to shape young new minds for the benefit of all of mankind and the trading world?

P.S. You have connections to Neidiehoffer. I think that he would jump at the chance to speak alongside Jack. Make it happen Surf.

4. nkhoi

nkhoi

Look for somebody with knowledge of hundreds pages of all 3 equity journals, he should be the best qualified man for the job.

5. Thanks Surf. Appreciate your help as I have already told you.

How do I get in contact with james altucher? I tried doing a search on his email and couldn't find anything.

How do you know these speakers would be interested?

6. Is this a joke?

To the original poster....

1) Timmy Sykes "hedge fund" is nothing more than a retail account with a little outside money from some very unhappy investors.

2) Timmy's "hedge fund" (LOL) has returned a pathetic 1.5% over the last 4+ years (yes, that's 1.5%...or roughly 1/3 what an ordinary riskless bank CD would have returned).

3) Timmy made money during the '99-'01 bubble and collapse (along with every other trader in the world), and hasn't made anything since. He is now trying to parlay his brief reality show appearance into becoming the next King of Snake Oil.

4) Timmy is a gigantic douche with a humongous ego.

7. Regarding Jack... I have contacted him. I do not know if he will be interested due to health reasons (not my place to speak).

Last I heard, he no longer does the Tucson meetings - I've been to one about a half a year ago.

8. nkhoi

nkhoi

9. im friends with/and or/ and have written articles or worked with them. they all have done this sort of thing in the past. altucher--- james@formulacapital.com

good luck,

surf

10. Surdo

Surdo

#10     Jul 31, 2007