"Universality" of your trading system?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by gmailer, Mar 11, 2012.

1. otherwise, sounds like you have a psycho problem. If it is working for euruds why do you care if it doesn't work for something else? If it worrks for one pair you will have all the money you need.

If you are trying to come up with a system that works all the time for everything you just want to be free from worry, and that is not the destiny of any trader.

Good luck trying to turn the market into your own personal ATM.

you have a eurusd system, now start working on a GBPUSD system.

once you get them both working you will be a little freeer from that worry that you worry so much about.

I doubt no matter how many working systems you have going you will ever find that peace you are looking for.

And if you are looking for that be all end all system which solves all problems, enjoy your hobby. (I was just about that close to a perpetual motion machine a couple of times.)

that's a good one, "The Universal System that Works for Everything All the Time." (now yours for only $49.99.)

#31     Mar 17, 2012
  2. gmailer

gmailer

I can see you are "what if" person. You have solution, see first results and you want to put it at work as soon as possible..right? :) I am for example "what"/"how" person - I need to "understand" how something works and why before I do that. If you really want to talk about psychology or NLP feel free - I have spent some time with it so I can help...or learn more if you are really that good ;)

I do not want my system to be ATM and to work on every market. I already explained that earlier - I assume that if system works on many markets(read - does not fail completely) there is greater chance it will survive future changes on "my market"(here EUR/USD). I think this is very reasonable assumption. When I see that it works great on Eur/USD and totally fail on GBP/USD I prefer to check it and ask other system designers, who are more experienced than me in creating systems.

#32     Mar 17, 2012
  3. ok, good luck, a lot of us have been looking for that system for a long time

#33     Mar 17, 2012
  4. A wise and very wealthy system trader once said:

"System trading is ultimately discretionary"

There is no escape from diving into the unknown, every time you put on a trade. You can always hit the mushroom switch if the algo stops performing. They call this "equity curve trading".

There is no way out of making a bet, whether the decision is to buy a stock or turn on an algo.

#34     Mar 17, 2012
  5. My stupid system has not even made a trade in the last two weeks. The market has been outside my parameters on one strat and the other is just getting no triggers. It's starting to piss me off. Just watching the market go up and up without me. I put together this nice system and no sooner then I get it going...it stops. I do have a nice looking equity curve on past, un-traded data though. So working on something else that will fit now.

This silly auto-trading, algo system development is taking more than the couple of months I thought it would....damn. Here it is 6 months into it and I'm still not making huge amounts on it. I don't even know everything about auto system trading development, programming and trade mechanics yet! It's a good thing I didn't know it would be this hard when I started!

#35     Mar 20, 2012
  6. bone

bone

You might consider if your trading frequency and data sampling timeframes are a limiting factor. In other words, are you pre-disposed or biased towards modeling and trading on a high or higher frequency basis ? If so, that could be a limiting factor and by default that might disqualify a number of markets that do not have the daily trading ranges and historical vol that the currencies do.

I am not making a judgement statement, just trying to think this through with you.

#36     Mar 20, 2012
  7. well, that's what I was trying to say

even though EUR/USD and GBP/USD have similar names they are about as different as Corn and NQ.

I'm sure there is somebody out there making a good living on the Great British Pound (or what I call the goddamn british pound) but it aint me.

In the breif time I have been trading forex all my winners would have been better if it wasn't for GBP, and all my losers wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't for GBP.

When I trade the chop it trends, and when I trade the trend it chops. Not only am I wrong, I'm exactly wrong.

Forget EUR/USD, if you can come up with a system that works for GBP I will buy it. And it doesn't even have to make money. I'll buy it if it just breaks even.

Until then I'm not going to trade it anymore, until maybe the Queen dies or Winstom Churchill is resurrected from the grave.

#37     Mar 20, 2012