Universal health care sucks!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DirkDigler, May 20, 2009.

1. I dispute that there is some huge number of people being denied access to basic health care. There are a lot of people who are young and healthy and choose to spend their money on other things. Everywhere I have lived has had county or city-provided basic health services for the poor, or in many cases, for anyone who wanted to use it.

I acknowledge that people can drop between the cracks when they change jobs or lose their coverage and then develop a condition, but that kind of problem can be addressed without destroying the entire system.

All I am saying is be careful what you wish for. When the government takes over health care, it is not going to spend the entire GDP on it. There will be rationing. People who get high quality care now may find themselves assigned to a que for things they take for granted, like MRI's. They may be denied lifesaving but expensive treatment because they are deemed too old or too risky.

#21     May 21, 2009
  2. dsq

dsq

Which incompetent idiots?

If there are any in a universal system then they are nothing compared to the system we have.It is absolutely criminal that some company stiff determines which procedures get denied based on cost.I mean an idiot middleman can overide a doctors recommendation.That is fucking beyond idiocy and is criminal and morally despicable.

#22     May 21, 2009
  3. Arnie

Arnie

Like this?..........

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2009/05...gh-evidence-to-pay-for-virtual-colonoscopies/

Medicare again is refusing to pay for an up-and-coming medical test on the basis that there’s not enough scientific evidence to back it up.

Last week, Medicare in a proposed decision declined to pay for genetic testing for patients getting the blood thinner warfarin. Yesterday, it said no to covering “virtual colonoscopies,” which are done using CT scans. They’ve been pitched in part on the basis that more patients may opt for the less invasive test rather than avoid a colonoscopy altogether because they’re uncomfortable with the idea.

#23     May 21, 2009