Universal health care sucks!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DirkDigler, May 20, 2009.

1. I'm amazed at how good some so called "backward" nations are at health care.

I have a friend who got injured badly in a S. American country. He got first rate care and was sent home.

The docs back home in the good old USA basically f....ked up his care and now tell him it will cost a huge amount to fix their screw up.

He is going back to SA and will get it taken care of for about what his copay would have been in the USA.

Seneca

#11     May 21, 2009
  2. We put these aholes on a pedestal and now we have to deal with them.

Who says a doctor should get rich? pay them 30 bucks an hour. they aint god. they more like plumbers fixing broken pipes and stopped up holes

#12     May 21, 2009
  3. TGregg

TGregg

Good point. Here's a great way to reduce health care costs in the US. Long lines for treatment! Some old geezer gets hit by a bus while on the list for hip replacement - hey, that's one less expensive surgery on the balance sheet!

Doctor says you should get that surgery where they scrape out all the blockage in your carotid artery? 1 year list, and BTW here's a years supply of coupons for free double Whoppers with Cheese, King Size Fries and King Size drinks at Burger King. Sorry, diet soda not included.

#13     May 21, 2009
  4. If you are only going to make 30 bucks an hour why bother going through med school? Your suggested approach would lead to ZERO doctors.

When a plumber screws up you end with some broken pipes which will result in some flooding or water damage, in the worst case maybe the release of some raw sewage. That is certainly not pleasant, but if a doctor doing open-heart surgery screws up someone dies. I don't know about you, but I am having major surgery, I want to have some guy who makes a lot of money because he is that good operating on me.

#14     May 21, 2009
  5. Your point is well taken. However, should you ever find yourself in need of the services of a neurosurgeon, I think a plumber would be a perfectly acceptable substitute in your case.

#15     May 21, 2009
  6. the guy that makes the most money is the best? are you a fool?

since when is money a standard of care?

open heart surgery is plumbing. a monkey could could follow the script. probably better

they do 5 like you a day then hand you off to the PA that makes 30 bucks an hour haha
    :D

#16     May 21, 2009
  7. Isn't that what the Canadian healthcare system offers.

#17     May 21, 2009
  8. Sure, on a case by case basis. Why, do you have family here?

#18     May 21, 2009
  9. There are plenty of problems in our system, but it works quite well for 95% of the population. Medicare works pretty well on the whole, but there are problems with it too. There are many limits on what doctors can do, how often they can visit a patient in a nursing home, for example. Probably they need these limits to prevent fraud, but it can have a devastating impact in idividual cases.

Our system does suck if you are uninsured but have assets. A trip to the emergency room can set you back thousands. Rip off? Not really, they have to pay for treating all those illegal aliens with no money or who give fake names. The 11 hour wait if you aren't spouting blood can be a bummer too, particularly if you're elderly.

Proposals to force insurance companies to accept patients with pre-existing conditions will have the same effect as the new laws on credit cards. Responsible people with insurance will have to pay more to offset the irresponsible. Why get insurance at all if you can just wait until you have something serious, then sign up? That's called moral hazard, and the only way to avoid it is to require that everybody be covered. Maybe that's not a bad idea, but then we'll get every lobby trying to mandate coverage for their niche. Mental health, cosmetic surgery, dental? Costs will go one way, up, by a lot.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who will pay $5 for a cup of coffee or $12 to see a movie are absolutely bullshit if they have to pay a $10 or $20 copay at the doctor's. Why should they pay it if obama will take it from me? Got to spread that fairness and social justice around.

#19     May 21, 2009
  10. There would be no "health care crisis" if it worked for the 95% of the population. People are finding it harder to understand how "in the greatest country in the world" fully employed individuals who are not bums could find it unaffordable to have access to basic health care.

#20     May 21, 2009