United States Government Budget - Interesting Analysis.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Feb 17, 2007.

1. .

February 17, 2007

SouthAmerica: I don’t know why the thread with the discussion about US healthcare has been deleted from this forum.

That subject is good enough to be covered by the Times but of no interest for this forum?

By the way, Paul Krugman’s column on today's The New York Times was about that subject.

Anyway here is some interesting information about the cumulative figures related to the Bush administration’s actual annual budgets. These are all actual figures and they were taken from official information published by the US government.

United States government actual budget

United States Government Annual Budget during the Bush administration.
    Each year, on the first Monday in February, the President of the United States submits his budget request to Congress for the following fiscal year:

United States federal budget, 2008 - $2.9 trillion (submitted February 2007 by President Bush)
    United States federal budget, 2007 - $2.8 trillion (submitted February 2006 by President Bush)
    United States federal budget, 2006 - $2.6 trillion (submitted February 2005 by President Bush)
    United States federal budget, 2005 - $2.4 trillion (submitted 2004 by President Bush)
    United States federal budget, 2004 - $2.2 trillion (submitted 2003 by President Bush)
    United States federal budget, 2003 - $2.1 trillion (submitted 2002 by President Bush)
    United States federal budget, 2002 - $2.0 trillion (submitted 2001 by President Bush)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total US government Budget for period year 2001 to year 2007 = US$ 17 trillion.
    ============================================================

Here is Bushes’ military spending - this does not include ANY costs related to Afghanistan or Iraq as they are all in supplemental spending bills:

For Fiscal Year 2007 it is $470.0 billion
    For Fiscal Year 2006 it was $441.6 billion
    For Fiscal Year 2005 it was $420.7 billion
    For Fiscal Year 2004 it was $399.1 billion
    For Fiscal Year 2003 it was $396.1 billion.
    For Fiscal Year 2002 it was $343.2 billion.
    Iraq and Afghanistan supplementary spending including 2007 = over $ 500 billion.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Total Bush administration defense spending for period 2002 to 2007 = US$ 2,970.7 billion

Note: It must be stressed that the recent invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan are funded outside the Federal Budget (i.e. are paid for through supplementary spending bills) and are therefore external to the military budget figures listed above.

----------------------

Another interesting fact about the United States government budget:

When the Bush administration assumed power the total cumulative US government outstanding debt as of January 31, 2001 was in the amount of US$ 5,716,070,587,057.36

The latest government data shows that as of February 15, 2007 the total US government outstanding debt was in the amount of US$ 8,738,700,362,432.03

In another words from January 2001 to February 2007 the deficit spending accumulated by the Bush administration went from US$ 5.7 trillion dollars to US$ 8.7 trillion dollars - that represents an increase in the US government outstanding debt in the amount of US$ 3 trillion.

In a Nutshell: During the 6 years of a Bush administration the United States total budget was US$ 17 trillion dollars – and from that US$ 3 trillion dollars were related to defense spending including the cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

After an analysis of the cumulative budget of the Bush administration for the period 2002 to 2007 there are two numbers that comes to mind:

1) Total Bush administration defense spending for period 2002 to 2007 = US$ 3 trillion.

2) Since George W. Bush became president of the United States – the cumulative outstanding debt of the US government has increased by the amount of US$ 3 trillion.

If you connect the dots then you come to the conclusion that the United States government has been funding its defense spending all these years with borrowed money.

In my opinion, it is too bad that Americans can’t come up with a better uses for the borrowed money that they have been using for defense spending = US$ 3 trillion dollars.

2. I have maintained this point to my friends for several years.

You borrow from your potential enemies in order to fund your military stance against them.

At first glance it very appears clever, until you delve back through history and see that it has never been sustainable.

3. This has been going on strong since 1970s and it took you how long to figure out?

I am now convinced that you, sir, are an imbecile. But I have long suspected it from you overwhelming inability to use the QUOTE feature.

4. You could just easily say that the US has borrowed 3-trillion to fund "entitlement" programs.

I would be interested to see the numbers for the subsidized living that the government provides to the population.

5. When will Brazil stop destroying the Amazon Forrest? America would never let its forrest be burned for Charcoal.

Brazil is a cesspool.

John

6. .

Hydroblunt: This has been going on strong since 1970s and it took you how long to figure out?

February 18, 2007

SouthAmerica: The United States has not been borrowing from China since the 1970’s.

At the end of 1979 China’s foreign exchange reserves were only at the US$ 1 billion level and since then China’s stockpile of foreign reserves has increased to over US$ 1 trillion – and out of that almost US$ 800 billion it is in US dollars.

Burtakus: You could just easily say that the US has borrowed 3-trillion to fund "entitlement" programs.

SouthAmerica: By entitlement - what you are trying to imply here - it is welfare.

Most Americans have the misconception that welfare is going thru the roof. But the reality it is very different since the amount that people can get as welfare payment from the US government it has not increased for over 30 years – that means that a person receiving welfare total it is getting about 1/3 of the amount that a welfare recipient were receiving around 1975 – because of inflation. (If you got US$ 200 as welfare monthly payment in 1975 that amount went a lot further than the same US$ 200 that welfare recipients are getting today.”

If anything the amount of welfare entitlement has been reduced significantly during the last 30 years. Only a “BRAIN DEAD” person would blame US government deficits on welfare.

jficquette: When will Brazil stop destroying the Amazon Forrest? America would never let its forrest be burned for Charcoal.

Brazil is a cesspool.

John

SouthAmerica: I guess John is the smartest of the bunch – if you know what I mean….

He blames massive US government deficits and trillions of US government wasted resources on defense spending – on the Amazon Forrest and in Brazil.

This guy got the first prize for lack of common sense - he is a basket case.

This is the type of person that would go along with spending the entire US government budget in one place – Defense Spending.

SouthAmerica: Before I never understood why some politicians in Washington, and the US mainstream media for that matter have been saying that China defense spending is increasing very drastically in the last few years? and it has also started ringing all kinds of alarm bells in the United States.

As far as I know China’s official defense spending has been around US$ 30 billion per year and some people are claiming that the real amount it is closer to US$ 50 billion per year.

I never understood what they were talking about since the US annual defense budget is about 10 times larger than the Chinese.

That was just a misunderstanding in my part – what these guys in Washington are really saying is that China is investing a massive amount of money in defense spending indirectly. Here is how it works.

China lends billions and billions of US dollars to the US government then the US government takes that borrowed money and use it for defense spending.

That’s why American politicians can claim that China is spending a massive amount in defense spending – defense spending of the US government.

What is the Chinese logic behind their support of that type of defense spending?

Because with every US dollar of borrowed money the Chinese is really giving the US government a rope to put around their neck – and China is the hangman.

Who needs to go to war - when you can help your adversary to destroy himself - with one loan at the time?

Why should the Chinese build an army to confront the United States? When it is much easier to destroy a country financially. The British Empire did not die in the battlefield; they did die a slow death – death by taxes to support the old system.

The Soviet Empire also did not die in the battlefield – they also die a financial death.

8. Incidentally I was with my Bank Manager the other day, I wanted to borrow 8 billion dollars.

No problema f9 he said, I just need to ask two questions

1... what is it for?
    2... how are you going to repay the loan?

I said, the money is for the purchase of a Carrier Strike Group (CSG)

AAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, he said
    That answers question # 2

9. The QUOTE feature is definitely a tough one, man, one day you will get it. Those "

10. Strong US dollar is backed with its stronger military; and in return more profits for its corpora citizen; which is beyond US long before 1970; Let's just say after WWII; the new world order is the US dollar.

Nixon did a fine job to drop gold; which helped the new world order in place.

USSR died with its people lost confidence with its governments; and the manipulation is at a grand mass scale; too many people dreamed about freedom and democracies will bring free food and shelter which american and WE promise to provide; and of course it was too late; it gaves the opportunity for them to privatize entire nation at very affordable price.

American should be fearful with China; because China had almost fallen in these similar traps; but it didn't. Why? The unknown causes fear.

#10     Feb 18, 2007