united health care CEO salary ...WOW.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by omegapoint, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Why not blame the tort lawyers, the universities and states like california for the rising cost of healthcare?

Put it in perspective. obama received something like 4-5 million dollars to write his autobiography and really had accomplished nothing up to that point. He didn't do anything else hundreds of others have done and now he's president.

Look up some of the assets of congress, they make millions and do nothing but f*ck this country up.

2. Malpractice suits account for 1 % of health care cost

Reminds me of McCain thinking the answer to fiscal responsibility was earmarks although its a very small part of the budget

3. Please site your source and if you can, what comprises the 1%.

4. I just read it was 2% but again no formula was given.

I believe the number is misleading due to the practive of defensive medicine and procedures done to avoid lawsuits in which case cannot be quantified.

Texas capped malpractice awards and premiums dropped.

If we are going to attack insurance companies we should start at the bottom of the ladder and work our way up.

1. Cap tuitions at universities.

2. Cap malpractive suits.

The left is to deeply in bed with the teachers union and tort bar that they will never even mention either of these two problems.

How can you fix a problem without identifying all of the causes?

5. This is correct. I don't have the link, but even the AMA does not contest it.

The defensive medicine part is the portion that's open to debate (i.e. how much of the cost of medicine is "defensive," in an overkill fashion, designed to safeproof against claims of malpractice).

6. The AMA may not contest it but I read an article that said 83% of those doctors that were polled practiced defensive medicine.

Clearly this cannot be quantified in the given numbers hence they are understated.

Texas placed caps on lawsuits and the result was a 20% decrease in premiums.

Adding to the state’s allure for doctors, Mr. Opelt said, was an average 21.3 percent drop in malpractice insurance premiums, not counting rebates for renewal.

7. LOL! NO!

No. After the rate caps passed in Texas, insurers requested rate increases of 35% for doctors and 65% for hospitals.

The only reason rates went down is because the legislature was so outraged that it stepped in.

So it's rather ironic that you would use a request for a rate increase as evidence that rate caps worked.