unique view of the market

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Thank you for the input. I wrote my master's thesis in algebraic topology. It's kind of like my trading indicator: A very simple, very basic concept, but extremely complicated to translate into formal math / computer science.

In a way, my trading indicator is the most basic one I could come up with that would adapt to changing market conditions on a daily basis.

#31     Aug 24, 2002
  2. lundy

lundy

a much better question is what is the significance of n in the nth minute chart or the nth tick chart.

from my personal strategies, I have deemed it is unnecessary to trade intraday using an intraday chart. Fact is, I use daily bars to to make intraday trades. I bet I'm the only one who does this, and it gives me a unique advantage or disadvantage if you will.

study the unfolding of the nth time frame bar, and not the collection of lower time frame bars. it is the unfolding that relates the story, the collection merely serves to confuse.

#32     Aug 24, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

One of my best friends is an Algrebraic K-Theorist - he got turned on to it after he took a class from Gerd Faltings at Princeton.

nitro

#33     Aug 24, 2002
  4. Fascinating what background we have. In my thesis I used algebraic geometry to construct error correcting codes. Not of much use in the markets :confused:

#34     Aug 24, 2002
  5. nitro

nitro

vikana,

I would love to learn enough Algebraic Geometry to be able to understand Deligne's proof of the Reimann Hypothes over Finite Fields, or Wiles proof of the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture (now a theorem.)

Alas, I do not think this will happen in this lifetime....:( :( :(

nitro

BTW - neat interview with Wiles:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/proof/wiles.html

#35     Aug 24, 2002
  6. Very deep shit ...

#36     Aug 24, 2002
  7. Nitro,

I agree. Very interesting stuff. I enjoyed the following little book. It details Wiles 10 year struggle with his proof. First half of the book is just filler.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_8_3/104-2516592-6159909?s=books&n=507846

I'll check out the pbs interview. I love this stuff :cool:

#37     Aug 24, 2002
  8. As far as your third point, you are probably right. Never understood responses from these geeks that hide behind their keyboards and take potshots at posters asking legitimate questions or looking to have interesting dialogue. Don't get me wrong, there is some funny stuff posted on these boards, but sometimes these "losers" show their true colors. Must make them feel good, right? Come to think of it, they are probably doing it because they can't trade themselves out of a wet paper bag.

#38     Aug 25, 2002
  9. You thought that was funny? Come on man. That was weak! I feel sorry for you if you were falling on the floor after reading this lame attempt to be clever.

#39     Aug 25, 2002
  10. jem

jem

GG while I wonder why people are giving you are hard time because anyone who looks at support and resistance from yesterday will find that usually at least one of those points was made in the last hour and fifteen minutes. However, you are not the first to post that idea. In fact the post has been linked on this site many times. The Phantom from Phantom of the Pits wrote articles that futrures magazine holds on its site.

It is free and I read it in 1995 or 1996. He not only suggested what you suggested but I think he also suggested adding the last hour and half to your charts or view of the market. So while you may have thought of this as a thirteen year old the phantom seems to have published the idea sooner. Nevertheless it is solid food for thought.

#40     Aug 25, 2002