Unique situation to give full time trading a shot

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lpchad, Jan 26, 2010.

1. look. you have a choice. prepare to lose her or work out a way to follow her. a 4 year long distance relationship has about as much chance as you have getting rich trading forex. almost zero.
    she understands this. she is trying to make this work by logically coming up with a solution that can work for all. that is a sign of maturity.

#11     Jan 26, 2010
  2. lpchad

lpchad

I have contemplated an MBA and determined it is not a good fit for me. I am not interested in working for someone else or in a corporate environment.

There are too many MBAs, the degree is a commodity now except for maybe the best students in the very top schools. I don't see any sense in going into $100,000+ in debt to be a corporate drone.

I am a smart guy and have realized that I don't need more education to be successful. Too many people revert back to more education thinking it will solve their problem. I love school, don't get me wrong. I could knock out an MBA or MS fairly easily, but it isn't what I need.

I need a plan, and time to execute it. Whether it be trading or starting my own business. Self-sufficiency is where things are going IMO and the only path I am interested in.

Trading is where I have put much of my efforts of becoming independent and makes the most sense to fully explore at this point since it is where my interest lies and where I have already invested a lot of time.

#12     Jan 26, 2010
  3. I have to side with vhehn. If you are genuinely serious about trading, then you have found one fine missy. However, if trading is only a diversion for you, then the decision is not quite as clear.

#13     Jan 26, 2010
  4. lpchad

lpchad

This is what I am thinking too. Just not sure if there is something I am overlooking.

#14     Jan 26, 2010
  5. Well, I think the guy who said to get an MBA/CFA while doing it is right. At least, find some way that you will be making life progress regardless of the P/L swings.

#15     Jan 26, 2010
  6. lpchad

lpchad

Trading is not a diversion.

I am very risk adverse which is what makes the decision hard. I will self admit that I have some fear of failure. I have confidence that I don't have many of the delusions many have approaching trading but still, it is a tough endeavor.

I am largely conservative in making financial and life decisions - I dated her for 5 years as an example, always lived below my means, etc.

In my trading, I am patient and take the best setups. I sit out days when need be. I believe in starting small, and repeating over and over and then scale up very gradually.

#16     Jan 26, 2010
  7. wickcity

wickcity

Since you are currently engaged to the girl, your first priority should be to make things work with her first.

With her becoming a doctor, money will not be a problem down the road if you want to give trading a shot.

#17     Jan 26, 2010
  8. Say you take $50K and trade. Assuming you have a strategy, etc. What is the worst case scenario if you fail/blow up? You are out 50 grand. Sucks, but you are still ahead of so many. You have to decide if this is your dream and if the potential price (50K) is worth it.

If you move and don't have a job you are out this or more in salary probably for maybe a year trying to find something else.

I don't see too much downside to this situation from a financial standpoint. From a relationship standpoint, I can't advise what kind of stress possibly losing 50 grand would have on it.

#18     Jan 26, 2010
  9. Then it looks like you both have your heads screwed firmly on your shoulders and your feet planted firmly on the ground. I wish you both well, whatever you decide. (And be sure to trade very small until you are consistent.)

#19     Jan 26, 2010
  10. clacy

clacy

If you want to marry this girl, you have to follow her. A long distance relationship while she goes to med school and then a residency and fellowship, will simply not work.

I would say that this is a good chance for you to give trading a shot, and you can always explain why you left your career later, if need be.

Following your fiance to Michigan for med school is a legit reason, IMO.

#20     Jan 26, 2010