Unique IPO strategy?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by garfangle, Nov 13, 2003.

1. pspr

pspr

Stocks do trade under a penny. They can trade in mils. Ever heard of the "Pink Sheets"? that's where you will find them.

#11     Nov 13, 2003
  2. blb078

blb078

once again it comes to simple supply & demand, there would have to be a daily volume of 3,4,5 billion shares to do something like that, take a look at all of the spinoffs of other companies, these spinoffs were just as big as google, nothing like that happened, it doesn't make good business sense, lower the shares offered raise the offering price, that way they can get the float out, then in a few months or whatever, they split or do a secondary offering.

#12     Nov 13, 2003
  3. blb078

blb078

no one here isn't saying stocks under .01 don't trade in a mill+, were talking about doing a billion dollar ipo,

#13     Nov 13, 2003
  4. Well, this is simply not the way the capital markets work.

It's clever, in a hand waving sort of way, but clever doesn't cut mustard when it comes to getting the attention of cold hard cash.

#14     Nov 13, 2003
  5. pspr

pspr

I believe the thread's author stated that if it went public at 1 cent it could only go up. That isn't true and most likely wouldn't happen.

#15     Nov 13, 2003
  6. blb078

blb078

i see what you're saying, i don't think he ment pink sheets, i think he ment a traditional ipo through GS, Merrill etc.

#16     Nov 13, 2003
  7. jaan

jaan

nice try, but no cigar.

even if you would find an exchange that would allow such IPO price (which you won't), what would basically happen is that once the real value of those shares falls below $.01, nobody would buy those shares from you, so the stock volume would go to 0. then you would be just sitting on your shares, wishing there was a way to sell those shares for less than $0.01.

you see, the value of a security is not what's written on it (or your computer screen) -- it's what others are willing to pay for it.

- jaan

#17     Nov 13, 2003
  8. I am not talking about an illusionary fly-by-nighter (see ZZZ Best), but if a solid company did it this way: a Google, a UPS, et al.

#18     Nov 13, 2003
  9. 1) you don't have to trade in full cents.
    2) a transaction cost premium would be applied.
    3) people will not overpay, even if the per share cost is low.

#19     Nov 13, 2003
  10. You have just earned the dumbest idea Award of the month!!!

:p :p :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :eek: :eek:

#20     Nov 13, 2003