Unimaginable

Discussion in 'Trading' started by oneway, Mar 3, 2002.

1. I think that, for now, the threat of a suitcase bomb is negligible. But the threat of a dirty bomb is much more likely. I've read that a dirty bomb, where they spread low grade nuclear waste via conventional explosives, would leave the affected area contaminated for several months. Can't imagine if Tom Birch forced the evacuation of a major financial center for a couple of months. That's been my concern.

I hope that Wall St. has fiber pipes right into an underground bunker somewhere...

#21     Mar 4, 2002
  2. I was thinking about this a few weeks ago, I have a feeling that if there is any kind of attack in the middle of a major city like NY or Chicago, where a large percentage of the population lives in condo and apartment buildings downtown, property values will suffer as it many people would want to choose suburb or small town living. With today's electronic possibilities for people to work from wherever, I think city living may not have much growth left in such a case. Just my thoughts on it.

#22     Mar 4, 2002
  3. I have read that you can probably protect thyroid fairly well with potasium iodide for the short term, but you're right: what good does that do for you property?

#23     Mar 4, 2002
  4. A U.S. official told TIME last week that it is widely presumed that al-Qaeda sleeper cells will take retaliatory action once the terrorist leader is killed or proved dead.

#24     Mar 4, 2002
  5. And you guys want to be traders!!! Haven't you learned from the markets that whoever has the most money eventually WINS!!! (That's us; meaning Americans and our friendlies).

Despite the numerous attempts by the sand people (to quote south park) to disrupt our way of life, rest assured we will always prevail.

All of our computer systems are redundant.

What else would we do with our piles of weapons if we didn't have somebody to aim them at???

What concerns me more is the plight of Israel - it is simply not practical for them to keep bombing the hell out of surrounding territories. As long as small-scale terrorism is Avant Garde in the world of radical Islam, I certainly do not see a solution.

#25     Mar 4, 2002
  6. With all due respect, this IS a trading issue. I think one would be foolish to be heavily in certain kinds positions should someone contaminate a couple airports and financial centers with medical radioactivity and maybe even a spent fuel rod. This is n't the IRA. These "sand dune" people have more money at their fingertips than every account on this board and I'm just saying think about what they can do before you go heavily long...

#26     Mar 4, 2002
  7. oneway

oneway

Shoeshine wrote: "With all due respect, this IS a trading issue. I think one would be foolish to be heavily in certain kinds positions should someone contaminate a couple airports and financial centers with medical radioactivity and maybe even a spent fuel rod. This is n't the IRA. These "sand dune" people have more money at their fingertips than every account on this board and I'm just saying think about what they can do before you go heavily long..."

Exactley how I feel. This is a trade related question and thats why I posted it.

#27     Mar 4, 2002
  8. Cesko

Cesko

Speculation based on what someone reads in U.S. news media is naive.
    Being able to read in other language besides English I can attest Americans are being manipulated big time. It's amazing in a country with so many media outlets they all pick the same shit and ignore the other. The only explanation is the censorship is live and well in this supposedly freest country in the world.

If any nuke threat actually happens, it will be at a time nobody expects it and not now.

A U.S. official told TIME last week that it is widely presumed that al-Qaeda sleeper cells will take retaliatory action once the terrorist leader is killed or proved dead.

Bet: Osama has been dead for a long, long time by now! And they know it well.

#28     Mar 4, 2002
  9. Your thought process is really disturbing.

Suppose some one dropped a nuke off at your house tonight - how would you go about setting it off?

:mad:

#29     Mar 4, 2002
  10. Unless terrorists have an atomic bomb, it is very difficult to do anything really nasty with radioactivity. For example, a spent fuel rod or anything else with enough gamma radiation to present a threat will kill anyone handling it long before he has a chance to kill anyone else.

Alpha-emitters such as plutonium can be handled safely relatively easily, but to do much harm they have to be dispersed in an extremely fine powder form so that people will breathe the particles into their lungs, where it might cause lung cancer. The problem is it is very difficult to produce and effectively disperse a sufficiently fine powder. Even then the relatively few people who get the particles in their lungs may take a few decades to develop cancer.

The most effective aspect of nuclear terorrism is in making large numbers of people worry excessively about what is a minor threat (excluding a bomb). The terrorists can thank American anti-nuclear activists for conditioning the US population to worry excessively about the threat.

#30     Mar 4, 2002