Unethical Conduct by IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by TRADERguy, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

How would one go about proving such a thing anyway given that the software is designed to keep pink persistent until the status of the order changed?

#191     May 3, 2006
  2. fhl

fhl

IBj-got this from your post on page 25:
    "It is rare that an order just vanishes. If it does, you should double check to ensure you are where you expect to be. If a client cancels an order, and sees it go pink (could be for a fraction of a second), then red, he can assume he is out. If he hits the cancel, then shuts down the TWS immediately without waiting for the confirms, or just goes away then logs back in later or just comes back, then that would be a poor assumption since the intermediate stages of the cancel process do provide valuable and indicative information. "

Seems reasonable for me to think from this that pinks may flash "for half a second" and in "rare occasions disappear". Where have I gone wrong?

#192     May 3, 2006
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

Right this is the problem. There is no way to know if the original poster's order with its pink status actually disappeared or not. In order to believe that the pink status order actually disappeared from his account, you have to trust him. So then it becomes a he said/she said type of argument.

However, since I have had one experience with an order just completely disappearing from my TWS, I am not going to say it can't happen.

#193     May 3, 2006
  4. IBj

IBj Interactive Brokers

Pink is a transitory state, i.e. "pending cancel". A Simple workflow example:
    1) order is working. Status = working; color = green
    2) client initiates a cancel request. Status is pending cancel; color = pink
    3) cancel request is acknowledged by the current "holder" of the order, either IB's servers for simulated orders, or the ECN/Exchange/Counterparty if the order has been sent to them. Status = cancelAcknowledged = you-are-out; color = red

The pink remains until a cancel-ack or a too-late-to-cancel (which implies an exec report) is received. If the destination is operating correctly, the cancel-ack can be received in a fraction of a second so the pink state is very short. However, the subsequent red color confirms the out which is the desired result. If the cancel-ack is not received, then the order is in an unknown state and will stay pink on the TWS until its true state (either cancelled or executed) is known.

#194     May 3, 2006
  5. fhl

fhl

Thank you for clarification. What got me messed up was the statement that "the intermediate stages of the cancel process do provide valuable and indicative information. " This led me to believe that if an order line was gone, we may still be on the hook because of something we missed in the intermediate stages of the cancel process.

#195     May 3, 2006
  6. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

I think the issues raised in this unfortunately titled thread have been addressed (multiple times).

Would the moderator please close the thread? Thank you.

#196     May 3, 2006
  7. IBsoft,

Thanks to all of you from IB for your patience with this thread in spite of its tone.

#197     May 3, 2006
  8. ZenEng

ZenEng

This was a very instructive thread and I really appreciated the detail from IB.

Is there any way to change the thread title if the original poster wanted it changed?

#198     May 4, 2006
  9. You know every service entered Canada, it was somehow changed.

IB Canada always told me that the problem was caused by TSE stock exchange, like no quote, incorrect quote/size, delayed quote. That is a standard answer.

But the truth who knows. We as trader can only take care of ourselves.

#199     May 4, 2006
  10. Fighter

Fighter

Forex trade is getting popular and popular. I observe from the kind taste of news to openning an account to practice by myself.

I start to trade stock in 1996. I observe internet trading from news on newspaper to main street topic in the peak in 1999. I follow the market news and see how Taxi driver trade on internet. I tell in you. There were various mistakes you cannot imagine. But through these blue collar's hand, things getting nasty. So back to topic, Forex trade is like era of Internet stock trading for average people.

For a newbie to Forex, pay straight attention on each of trade.
    Stick on limit order. Reduce and even Avoid any cancelation
    transaction. Learn from your peers how a mistake happen.

Bokers you deal with could be blamed. But for your best interests, you are better off finding solution from yourself.

I believe most brokers trustable but system could be unstable.

You need to take very cautious to deal with it. Smelling sth,
    get rid of it as fast as possible.

#200     May 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.