Unemployment really at 17.2%?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wesker, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Easy. You make youself an employee of the company therefore paying taxes like any employee. People in the construction business up north do this because they're often out of work in the winter, but they can collect unemployment until it warms up enough to work again.

Btw, with respect to unemployment, when you consider that the majority of people under say 25 or so are virtually unemployable it's amazing the numbers aren't higher.

#21     Dec 6, 2009
  2. wesker

wesker

More background on the different statistics:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment

#22     Dec 6, 2009
  3. Horrible cards he's been dealt? ROTFL. Cry a river eh? He deals his own cards. He signed TARP, he pushed stimulus, he wasted all summer on an unconstitutional healthcare bill, and he's firmly pitted himself against any pro-growth tax policy.

#23     Dec 6, 2009
  4. clacy

clacy

You've got me wrong. I'm definitely an anti-Obama guy and a staunch Republican (more of a conservative actually), but you have to admit that he hasn't exactly had an easy set of circumstances to deal with.

Neither did Bush, btw. They've both had a lot on their plates, compared to many recent Presidents, though.

#24     Dec 6, 2009
  5. MKTrader

MKTrader

Exactly. And what about "W's" cards? He came at the end of the Internet bubble with ridiculous record-high stock valuations. It had been obvious since at least '97-98 that a crash was coming.

But I won't cut him slack either. He cut taxes but not spending, and went for the spendulous just like McCain and MaObama.

#25     Dec 6, 2009
  6. Agreed. And btw, I meant Obama voted for TARP, not signed it.

#26     Dec 6, 2009
  7. #27     Dec 7, 2009
  8. In a hurricane there is no such thing as a "blip" that goes against the trend. This recession has been so deep and strong, that the only time we will see the light is when the trend starts to reverse, and even then only looking backwards...

#28     Dec 7, 2009
  9. I’d be the first to point out how bad the economy is, especially for people under 30. Not just for the past year, but really for about 4 now. But let’s just say unemployment really is 10% or whatever. That means that 1 out of every 10 people in the workforce is unemployed. Not underemployed, or part time or anything, but flat out unemployed.

Now, I don’t know a whole lot of people, but out of everyone I know, I can’t really think of 1 person who is flat out unemployed, let alone 1 out of 10. I sure know a lot of people who are struggling to just get by from day to day, but all of them at least have a job. The restaurant that my sister works at is closing soon, but I’m pretty sure she’ll be able to find something soon.

I’m not sure what my point is in saying all this. Seems like the problem isn’t that there aren’t any jobs, just not very good ones. Combine that with the fact that it seems like prices always just keep going up, but you never seem to get a raise to make up for it.

#29     Dec 7, 2009
  10. Every job that is open tends to have a lot of applicants. There was a part-time, 3-month IT position recently - 75 professionals sent their resumes...

New grads out of college are struggling to get anything in their field. Experienced pros are even applying for internships. Professionals are applying to jobs that usually go to high school or retirees (like fast food places).

#30     Dec 7, 2009