Unemployment rate is down -unbelievable!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by hajimow, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Coffeebean...

I am not a long term player....I just want prices to move intraday...

In deflation...all prices shift down...fewer dollars chasing the same goods...evrything is down....

The returns on money goes down big time...like it already is...all over the world...

http://www.fxstreet.com/nou/continguts/centralbanks.asp?menu=interestrates

My answer is to position your mindset to perfect your intraday trading skills...because the world's companies and commodities will be tradeable around the clock electronically...

To just sit on a postion of anykind for any length of time is not something that interests me...

#51     Jul 11, 2005
  2. Coffeebean...

What does come to mind are trading products such has been discussed by economist Gary Schilling...

But even so...who is going to provide the liquidity on the other side when you you want to move size...

Remember what happened in 1987...there was a lot of insurance around ...but nobody on the other side...

When you look at the list of Central Banks rates that I provided you...is it not such an odd thing to think that chasing a 1 to 3% return is attractive....?

Deflation is very ugly indeed...no bail outs for the banks...

If there was an inverse instrument...they would be first in line...

In the troubled smaller countries...they printed a lot of inorganic money to escape this...and of course they are all stay in a delicate balancing act versus their currency peers....

I sincerely believe that the globalization of capitalism will just send more trading names through the tube...and that there will always be some volatility around...and the trading tubes will quickly consolidate now that its just a matter of a few computer banks...

To me the future of trading ...not investing...is getting brighter all the time....

Long term paper instruments to beat deflation....even if they had them...wouldn't trust them...

#52     Jul 11, 2005
  3. Coffeebean....

25 year zero coupon bonds have outperformed stocks since the 1980 Carter administration when US short term rates were over 20%...

And while it is true that a move from 4.5% to 3% is a lot of money...over 40%....the fact that the US make have hickups in rates to provide dollar bouyancy make this a very tricky play....because if the rate were to move conversely from 4.5% to 6.5%...they would lose a lot of money...No real money to be made for short term maturities...

But a hard core deflationist ...thinking that the US was headed to 1% like Japan...can find an instument ...the 25 year zero coupon bond...

#53     Jul 12, 2005
  4. SteveD

SteveD

Hey Podna'

Other than US or UK ALL other countries/governments have and will take it away from you if they decide to.

Don't be silly.

SteveD

#54     Jul 12, 2005
  5. Steve D

Hey Podna'

Other than US or UK ALL other countries/governments have and will take it away from you if they decide to.

Don't be silly.

SteveD

What´s a lot more dangerous are US women....

Divorce will take it away from you faster...and unfortunately better than 70% of the men on ET can...or will appreciate this...

See ya Podna...Hope you have plenty of ¨grape koolaid ¨...and ¨frosted flakes...

#55     Jul 12, 2005
    #56     Jul 12, 2005
  7. What I know is that as globalization takes hold...is that the professional trader has the choice to globalize..

You diversify your assets in more than one country..in more than one currency...while making sure that you launch a professionally managed low tax strategy...

You live where you earnings go further....and the environment best suits you...

Who cares about any single country...why get married to any of them...

Look...learn more than one language...get to know other people and beautiful places of the world...

You have no boss...your boss is you...

Enjoy the world...you are never stuck in any country...or subject to any single institutions' problems...

Be of..and for..and move with the world....just like adapting to the markets....

I do this now....live it every day....

Love it....

#57     Jul 12, 2005
  8. This phenomenon hasn't even STARTED imo.

Wait until several of those "working poor" (a blue-collar person who lost his job in the factory and now works at Walmart at 1/3 of his prior wage) start to "loudly" express their frustration.

It's not just a US/Britain phenomenon, it's happening in many countries in Europe.

But in my opinion it will be more pronounced in US vs Europe, simply because the gap between social groups has widened so much in US lately. The financial elite is getting richer at the same time that most are getting poorer.

The numbers give the facts:
    The corporate profits in US as a % of GDP during last couple of years have been the highest since the 1960s. The effective corporate tax rate has been the lowest since 1950s (as far as my data goes).

Have a look at the charts from recent article by Bill Gross (PIMCO, with 400bn assets under management) - "effective corp tax rate" 2nd chart from top:
    http://www.pimco.com/LeftNav/Late+Breaking+Commentary/IO/2005/IO+July+2005.htm

PS: The article is interesting for every trader (to see the outlook by a fund manager).

#58     Jul 12, 2005
  9. With the tone set by the recent Patriot Acts, that will soon change. Regardless, what good would your US assets be if the real inflation sets in and the dollar starts plunging.

#59     Jul 12, 2005
    #60     Jul 12, 2005