Unemployment Number

Discussion in 'Economics' started by waggie945, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Cute answer but seriously, it seems that there are a lot of democrats that fit your platform perfectly. I mean it's not like you are required by law to be a republican, you can change your mind. It just seems like you are in the wrong party. There are democrats who are strong on defense, strong on immigration and the environment. I just don't get it. I mean you can do whatever you want but it just seems like you can get what you want from the left. Why be on the right?

#42     Apr 7, 2004
  2. So who would you suggest Mav?

#43     Apr 7, 2004
  3. And remember, give me a candidate that has some integrity. I am not interested in someone that delegates their policy making the way that Bush does . . . Again, I never saw Cheney and Rove's name on my ballot, and that is the biggest single problem that I have with Dubya.

His father, who unfortunately dropped the ball on the domestic economy, had a much greater handle on foreign affairs and intelligence. I liked George Sr. a lot!

#44     Apr 7, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK, you got it. Let's start with your old state Connecticut. What about Joseph Lieberman? He is very strong on defense. He is a pro-growth democrat. Very strong on the environment. Now, I'm a republican Waggie so it means something when I say this man has a lot of integrity. I mean this guy has exactly the same platform as you do. And I can't for the life of me figure out why you don't switch parties and support him. And he's not the only one Waggie. What about Zell Miller? Of course he is stepping down now after over 40 years of commendable service. He was also a pro growth democrat and very very strong on defense. What about Bill Richardson from Arizona? I mean I could keep going all day. But out of all of them I really think Lieberman is your man. So what says you?

#45     Apr 7, 2004
  5. You're right Mav.
    I would be much more inclined to support Joe Lieberman since his values and political stance align themselves much more closely with mine, especially being a resident of California.

It's just too bad that these elections become a personality and "sound-bite" contest, and that is where Lieberman is unable to shine.

Sad, but true!

#46     Apr 7, 2004
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK, so then why not be a democrat? I still don't get it. To be honest with you Waggie, there are not many guys in the republican party to the right of Lieberman. I still am confused why you are a registered republican. Can you clarify a little more?

#47     Apr 7, 2004
  7. It really isn't that hard to figure out since I am a very firm believer in a strong defense, and not many democrats, if any ( especially pre-911 ) have been in support of that.

#48     Apr 7, 2004
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Waggie, come on. There are many democrats that are strong on defense. Maybe not AS strong as many on the right, but especially after 9/11, defense will become a bigger priority for those on the left. I'm still not buying this. And I hate to say this as a republican, but many on the right are really not as big of hawks as they sell themselves to be. The bid ask spread between the right and the left on defense is actually pretty tight Waggie. You are going to have to do better then that.

#49     Apr 7, 2004
  9. No, I don't Mav because of the simple fact of the matter that pre-911 you couldn't find a Democrat that was in "rigorously" strong support of defense.

Clinton actually surprised me in that his defense spending was actually $2 billion per year higher than George Bush Sr's projections, but other than that pleasant surprise on defense he obviously lacked the integrity that I seek.

Sure, you can talk about "post-911" and all of these Dems that are strong on defense, but I think that it was all too typical of the political shenanigans that come and go when these guys seek re-election. Pre-911, these guys were no where to be found.

Period.

#50     Apr 7, 2004